Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Late to the party here, but my 16yo boy got a shot at a spike and missed a week or so ago. He told me he will probably use his pins next time. :ROFLMAO: He was pretty excited. He also got a shot at a 3 point buck and missed. "The lesson I learned this time Dad is to actually use the range finder before I take the shot, not after". He's having a ball, getting some "at bats" and learning to be a great hunter. I'm amazed that he pays attention to thermals, real cover, and is not afraid to circle around a mile to get a shot. When I was 16 I was.... not that affective. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you bugle at him, (picking a fight) he may leave the county and take the cow with him.
Sadly and as I figured, the bull and cow were just passing through. He already had a girlfriend so I was just a roadside distraction and not worth hanging till day break to see if that hot momma was worth the time spent. Followed what was left of their spoor (rain scrubbed most of it) and it went straight off the ranch and off to greener pastures. Probably where there is no way to get to them. The good news is there are still a few good deer left out in the sage brush. Three days and counting till they live for another season.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got on the mountain at 11:30 am on Monday, with plans to hunt the next 2.5 days until the season was done. My buddy and I were 1.5 hours into our hunt, when we sat down for a sandwich and made some cow calls. This little guy came in silent. I shot him frontal at 10 yards. Easiest blood trail I've ever had to follow, just gushed for about 180 yards until we found him piled up. Just feeling extremely lucky this year. Makes all those days (years) when you hike your butt off without seeing anything worth it.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Vegetation
Plant Natural landscape Wood Trunk Tree
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was there an exit wound? Was it a mess inside? Puncture the stomach and guts?
The arrow penetrated about 14-16 inches, so it didn't reach the stomach or guts. It came out after he whirled and I found it 10 yards away from the shot. I'm not sure why it came out, that one puzzles me. Almost like the blood pressure pushed it out. Shooting Rage Hypodermics.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts