1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
Question, Im buying my first archery elk tag. They are unlimted. I want to hunt the spike unit but when i try to buy a tag it only says bull elk residential tag. Do i just buy a bull tag but hunt a spike in a spike unit?

if anyone know that would be very helpful, thanks

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Question, Im buying my first archery elk tag. They are unlimted. I want to hunt the spike unit but when i try to buy a tag it only says bull elk residential tag. Do i just buy a bull tag but hunt a spike in a spike unit?

if anyone know that would be very helpful, thanks[/quot

click on it. do the pull down and there one in there for archery elk hunt.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

if anyone know that would be very helpful, thanks
No, please actually read the 2015 Utah big game guidebook cover to cover before doing anything else.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You can hunt either the any bull units or spike units with an archery elk tag. From the 2015 Utah Big Game Field Regulations guidebook, page 21:

If you obtain a general-season archery elk permit, you may use archery equipment to take only one of the following animals:

• One elk of either sex on a general-season any bull elk unit
  • An antlerless elk or a spike bull elk on a general-season spike bull elk unit
  • Only a spike bull on the Book Cliffs unit
  • One elk of either sex on the extended archery areas

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You can hunt either the any bull units or spike units with an archery elk tag. From the 2015 Utah Big Game Field Regulations guidebook, page 21:
Stop giving out incorrect info, there are spike only units and general bull units that are separate tags, you cannot use the same tag for both!!

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, please actually read the 2015 Utah big game guidebook cover to cover before doing anything else.
He's confused due to the fact they are all under the drop down under the Bull elk section under big game. Push the drop down and select "archery bull elk" in the drop down and you can hunt spike units with that tag. So +1 dkhntrdstn. Asking questions isn't a bad thing, read the guidebook, but sometimes we all still have questions 30-06.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stop giving out incorrect info, there are spike only units and general bull units that are separate tags, you cannot use the same tag for both!!
The archery tag can be used for either of the units. Muzzleloader and rifle tags are the tags they seperate between spike units and any bull units. The season dates are different but the archery tag is the same. Maybe it's you who should read the guidebook more thourougly.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
if he buying a archery elk tag they dont sell them in spike or any bull. they sell them as archery elk tag. so that means he can hunt a any bull or a spike unite with that tag.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if you purchase a General Season archery permit:
-You can hunt either spike or any bull units
-Spike units run from August 15-September 4
-Any bull units run from August 15-September 11

Muzzleloader and rifle:
-You buy an any bull tag for any bull units
-you buy a spike bull tag for spike bull units

sorry if you've been more confused than helped wolverine.

Reactions: nelsonccc

·
Registered
53 Posts
He's confused due to the fact they are all under the drop down under the Bull elk section under big game. Push the drop down and select "archery bull elk" in the drop down and you can hunt spike units with that tag. So +1 dkhntrdstn. Asking questions isn't a bad thing, read the guidebook, but sometimes we all still have questions 30-06.
That is exactly my confusion. I have read the rule book. I want to hunt in cache, which is a spike unit. I thought that when buying a tag it would separate the tags into archery spike units or archery bull units only. The rule book does not specify how the tags are sold. The drop down only says "Archery Bull Elk"

So I can buy an archery "bull elk tag" and I can hunt any unit, spike or bull. I just have to make sure I only shoot what is legal in that unit, spike or cow in a spike unit like cache. or I can go to a bull unit and shoot anything, a bull, spike or cow, correct?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
For clarafication, you cannot shoot a bull on a spike unit, but you can shoot a spike on a bull unit. I guess that is what I should have said but came out wrong, good luck.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the question about archery tags? Archery are good in any bull or spike only units in the correct respective seasons. Brisket's quote was straight from the Guidebook you suggested wolverine_173 should read cover to cover...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That is exactly my confusion. I have read the rule book. I want to hunt in cache, which is a spike unit. I thought that when buying a tag it would separate the tags into archery spike units or archery bull units only. The rule book does not specify how the tags are sold. The drop down only says "Archery Bull Elk"

So I can buy an archery "bull elk tag" and I can hunt any unit, spike or bull. I just have to make sure I only shoot what is legal in that unit, spike or cow in a spike unit like cache. or I can go to a bull unit and shoot anything, a bull, spike or cow, correct?
If you purchase an accompanying antlerless tag you can shoot the first thing you see on a bull unit. But no, you can't shoot a cow with a bull tag, that's just common sense there.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
For clarafication, you cannot shoot a bull on a spike unit, but you can shoot a spike on a bull unit. I guess that is what I should have said but came out wrong, good luck.
^see this^

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the question about archery tags? Archery are good in any bull or spike only units in the correct respective seasons. Brisket's quote was straight from the Guidebook you suggested wolverine_173 should read cover to cover...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you purchase an accompanying antlerless tag you can shoot the first thing you see on a bull unit. But no, you can't shoot a cow with a bull tag, that's just common sense there.
again going back to Briskets quote from the guide book...

If you obtain a general-season archery elk
permit, you may use archery equipment to
take only one of the following animals:
• One elk of either sex on a general-season
any bull elk unit
• An antlerless elk or a spike bull elk on a
general-season spike bull elk unit
• Only a spike bull on the Book Cliffs unit
• One elk of either sex on the extended
archery areas (see details below)
See bold portion

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Well what he meant was.......

Reactions: willfish4food

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I just learnt me sumthin knew....no wonder so many guys like the archery tag, I'll stick with shootin sum bullits at them ther aminals....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts