Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dying here waiting to hear how everybody's doing on the elk hunt. What have you seen? Who took an elk? Lets see some pics... Hear some stories... Please?!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hunted the North Slope and took a spike yesterday. I didn't see many elk and I didn't hear many shots either. A guy I was with took a couple of shots at a 5 point yesterday. With the exception of a few cows, those were the only elk we saw.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hunted Saturday - private land off Skyline Drive. Weather sucked near top with thick fog. Not much moving around. Did see 1 spike and almost got a chot off before some trespassing 4-wheeler guys come tearing up the trail and scared him off. Why can't people obey posted signs and respect private property? Will be back out Wed - Sat.

Anyone see much up Skyline?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Landshark, I was up there opening day. Your right weather sucked a lot of snow, as well as heavy fog. We didn't even see an elk a few deer is all we saw! We came up from Tucker to the top. We hiked down towards Silver Creek from the C-Canyon Ridge turn-off. My two boys have cow tags one is 13 and the other is 15 years old. They are dying to bag there first big game animal! We are heading back down Thursday - Sunday. Any help would be appreciated. There hunting unit is the Manti, North.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right after I sat down in "my spot" I heard a bugle. I thought that it was just some guy trying to call in the elk. I situated myself and then looked up to see a spike (I have a spike tag) staring at me from about 70 yards. I couldn't do much but wait for him to move behind a tree or look down. Unfortunately, he started to move out of the area. The shot wasn't there so I waited for him to walk through an opening in the trees. I had the rifle at the ready, but he never came through. There must have been a small hill that he went behind. Following the spike was a nice bull. A couple of years ago I would have probably chased after them, but experience told me to stay put and see what the morning would bring to me.
Within the next couple of minutes I had another elk feeding in front of me. Then some deer came through, two 4-points. One of them was probably 26+ wide, real nice. The deer saw something, but it wasn't me. I looked behind me only to see a coyote walking by.
After the deer and coyote moved out, I went back to watching the elk. I looked down the hill and saw a small herd. One nice bull chased away another elk. I thought that there must be a spike down there and I began scoping the animals. Unfortunately, I only saw cows and the big bull, but it was still a rush.
I had some other deer walk through and then turned on the radio to see how my brothers had done. I came to find out that my younger brother had shot his first elk. I headed up to help him and the work began.
Between my brothers and I, we saw tons of elk and deer. This was one of the better hunts I have ever been on. I had a blast sitting there in the aspens, surrounded by animals, and enjoying some time outdoors. It didn't bother me that I missed out on an opportunity to take an elk. I was happy being there and proud of my little bro for his elk. I hope you all had a good time whether you harvested an animal or not.

-Nimrod

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Opening day was great on the North Slope. It had snowed the night before and I was up early Saturday Morning. Hiked in about two miles and sat a clearing that usually produces elk. I had been practicing my cow calling all year and was ready to go. I sat back in the trees and cow called. No answer. We sat there for about an hour and I continued calling. Sure enough, after about 30 more minutes in came two cows and their calfs. It was a great sight to see. We sat and watched them for a while thinking that there would be some more elk. Sure enought about 10 minutes after the cows/calfs left in came a spike(2X1). He was very tempting to take but it was just the first morning and I didn't really want to shoot a spike in an any bull area(just personal preference). Anyway. After he left we saw some more elk(cows) later on in the day. Didn't hunt sunday, just listened to conference in the trailer. Monday morning was a great day as well. Didn't see as many elk as we had the first day, but they were there. You could see their tracks all over the place. It was a beautiful day, and a great day to be out in the uintas. Didn't take a bull, but had a great hunt so far. It was fun. Saw a nice 5 by 5 and a nice 6 by 6 shot as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts