Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 1/2 year old and I spent the morning hiking through deep snow to elk we spotted hoping to get him a shot at his first cow elk. (Snow shoes kept us from sinking to our waist, but still a lot of work, especially for his shorter legs.) We got close enough for a shot out of grandpas borrowed '06, but the 12 bulls kept mingling in front of the 2 cows and he wisely elected not to shoot. (It was fun for me to see him nearly hyper-ventilate while trying to find the cow in the scope. He quickly calmed down like we practiced at the range all summer and was ready to take the shot had it presented itself.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you an experience we had after we hiked out of that area. Just over an hour later found us back at the truck removing our snow shoes. We decided to drive to a different area that offers a vantage point of a valley where I shot my elk this year and eat our lunch.

While eating our lunch inside the warm truck, we spotted elk about three miles in from where we were parked. While formulating a plan, a truck pulled up to us and two hunters piled out. They set up a spotting scope on the hood and began looking for elk. I thought, "Oh boy, more competition when I'm trying to get my leg worn son on an elk."

Before long one of the hunters, came over and asked us if we saw the elk. I said we did. He was very friendly and asked if we were going after them and I said it was up to my son because he was pretty tired from our earlier foray.

Turns out he had a tag as did his teenage son. This fellow hunter, a perfect stranger with two tags of his own to fill then invites us to walk in with them. "If you get an elk, we'll throw it in our jet sleds and help you pull it out." He even offered to let my son shot his 300 Win Mag. if the shot ended up being too far for the '06 we borrowed from grandpa. He gave my son a little pep talk, telling him "We could have you on an elk in an hour!"

Just wanted to share this experience, which taught me to look at fellow hunters in a different light. I suppose I forgot we're all in the same boat, and it's not a bad idea to lend a helping hand to each other.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rest of the story...my son decided he was too bushed to go after the elk. (I suspect he might not feel ready to kill big game yet.) Not wanting to push him too hard this first year, we finished our lunch, watched the elk a bit longer, then headed home and watched a duck hunting DVD together. (I actually fell asleep on the sofa to the sounds of Buck Gardner's sweet Arkansas accent.) I think we'll focus on small game some more so I can gauge his reaction to the whole killing thing. Either way, time with him in the field is what I really want to bag.

G

·
I like to hear stories like this. I look forward to the time I can take my two sons and my daughter hunting. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad to hear there's still a few good guys still out there. Most people wouldn't of said anything and would of ran up there as fast as they could.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts