Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I loaded up our tubes, fly gear, and headed up to a reservoir at 8,800'. We got on the water about 8:30 and fished until 3:00 dragging an assortment of flies to try and wake up some fish from their winter nap. The ice came off last week and the water temperature was already up to 45-46 degrees but the visibility in the water was only about 3'.
We managed to pick up a few fish, all rainbows, but it was pretty slow. There were a few guys fishing from the bank using bait and they did better than we did but we got more exercise.;) We used medium sinking lines with a black bunny leech, black/orange/pearl crystal bugger, and a tan/green/pearl soft hackle.
As you can see from the pictures the reservoir level is way down (33% full) this time last year it was almost full.
The weather was good to start but by afternoon the wind started to pick up making it a little more difficult to hook the fish.

All in all it was a fun day to get back to fishing the high mountain waters.

P1070024(2).JPG P1070025(2).JPG P1070026(2).JPG P1070028(2).JPG P1070029(2).JPG P1070030(2).JPG P1070032(2).JPG P1070033(2).JPG

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Thanks for the report. It looks like the bows are in decent shape coming out of the winter.

I know where you were and the water level is discouraging. It is going to be really dry on that mountain range this summer.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Are "most" of the mid level mountain roads around the region open this year already? We have the opportunity to burn some family member's hotel points that were going to waste because of Covid so we'll be up in PC next week enjoying the newly vaccinated life. Weather isn't looking great but that's never stopped me from being outside fishing.

I've really only fished the Provo and the Mirror Lake Highway region. I'm thinking about branching out. Recommendations?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are "most" of the mid level mountain roads around the region open this year already? We have the opportunity to burn some family member's hotel points that were going to waste because of Covid so we'll be up in PC next week enjoying the newly vaccinated life. Weather isn't looking great but that's never stopped me from being outside fishing.

I've really only fished the Provo and the Mirror Lake Highway region. I'm thinking about branching out. Recommendations?
What kind of fishing are you looking for up there? Stream, lake, boat, float tube/pontoon, fly/lure fishing, bait fishing?

There are lots of options in that area depending on what kind of fishing you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Most likely shore fishing with wife and kiddo, if weather holds. Spinning gear.

Debating bringing fly gear in case it's raining and they want to stay indoors. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the packing cut. I do have a fun ultralight spinning rod for streams though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most likely shore fishing with wife and kiddo, if weather holds. Spinning gear.

Debating bringing fly gear in case it's raining and they want to stay indoors. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the packing cut. I do have a fun ultralight spinning rod for streams though.
You might try the upper Weber River or the stretch between Rockport and Echo. A lot of the upper Weber is private and some of the portion between Rockport and Echo is too but there are several access points along that stretch. There is also the middle Prove between Jordanelle and Deer Creek.
Deer Creek, Jordanelle, and Rockport offer a variety of fish species and are shore angler friendly especially Deer Creek and Rockport. Those reservoirs are all state parks so you would have to pay to play.

Good luck on your outing, hopefully you'll have decent weather.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A buddy and I loaded up our tubes, fly gear, and headed up to a reservoir at 8,800'. We got on the water about 8:30 and fished until 3:00 dragging an assortment of flies to try and wake up some fish from their winter nap. The ice came off last week and the water temperature was already up to 45-46 degrees but the visibility in the water was only about 3'.
We managed to pick up a few fish, all rainbows, but it was pretty slow. There were a few guys fishing from the bank using bait and they did better than we did but we got more exercise.;) We used medium sinking lines with a black bunny leech, black/orange/pearl crystal bugger, and a tan/green/pearl soft hackle.
As you can see from the pictures the reservoir level is way down (33% full) this time last year it was almost full.
The weather was good to start but by afternoon the wind started to pick up making it a little more difficult to hook the fish.

All in all it was a fun day to get back to fishing the high mountain waters.

View attachment 148219 View attachment 148220 View attachment 148221 View attachment 148222 View attachment 148223 View attachment 148224 View attachment 148225 View attachment 148226
Thanks for sharing with us. Guess you had a nice time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts