Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sorry to be harsh, but, IMO this vid sucks. Que the 40 second intro, que the canned 'Lord of the Rings' music, que the kill shot, que the slo-mo replay, etc, etc, etc. Edit in whatever biggame animal and this vid is EXACTLY the same rewarmed, tired, lazy, worn out formulaic...well, you get the idea. This was not a hunt video, it was a kill video-at least according to the video.
I've got an idea, how about showing a hunt on a hunt video.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I thought the video was awesome!! Great tribute to his brother by using his rifle to harvest that cat. If I pass before my time hopefully my brother does the same. I guess different viewers are noticing different things. The commentary indicated a whole **** ton of hunting before the cat was harvested.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry to be harsh, but, IMO this vid sucks. Que the 40 second intro, que the canned 'Lord of the Rings' music, que the kill shot, que the slo-mo replay, etc, etc, etc. Edit in whatever biggame animal and this vid is EXACTLY the same rewarmed, tired, lazy, worn out formulaic...well, you get the idea. This was not a hunt video, it was a kill video-at least according to the video.
I've got an idea, how about showing a hunt on a hunt video.
Thanks for the constructive criticism, I guess??
Do you any videos I can watch & critic?
Kelly

·
Registered
469 Posts
Love this video! Don't know why some people feel the need to be such naysayers. I love all the videos you post. Keep em coming!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It IS constructive criticism. Let me be a little more precise. What, in this video, sets you apart from every other video out there? You took a good lead in(hook) subject, using the rifle of a dead brother, and did what with it? Did we get to know either brother, what the rifle meant to the brother, what connection was there? Was this rifle a hand down, did they hunt together as children, was their connection as brothers fully realized when they were in the woods? Was killing the Lion the point? No, the point was HUNTING with the rifle that connected one brother to another across the bounds of death. The fact that one brother will always have this connection. Tell the story, leave the theatrics in editing alone. Think of the cave painting that told the story across the bounds of time. Maybe thats what this brother feels. No Slow mo, no lord of the rings or heavy metal crap. Learn to tell the story in your words, not mimicking someone else's yesterday style. You got, skilz, expect more from yourself.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't listen to whats his name. Your video was a great video for what it was. You don't see that kind of focus, detail and camera work on the tv hunting shows. I could count the number of pine needles in front of that cat's face and did anyone notice the bark detail all while keeping the cat in focus. Told me the story of a guy doing one last thing in his brothers name and the five hard days it took to get it done. Guess I can read between the lines and I don't need to watch 25 minutes of guys driving around looking for cats then 5 minutes of action.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It IS constructive criticism. Let me be a little more precise. What, in this video, sets you apart from every other video out there? You took a good lead in(hook) subject, using the rifle of a dead brother, and did what with it? Did we get to know either brother, what the rifle meant to the brother, what connection was there? Was this rifle a hand down, did they hunt together as children, was their connection as brothers fully realized when they were in the woods? Was killing the Lion the point? No, the point was HUNTING with the rifle that connected one brother to another across the bounds of death. The fact that one brother will always have this connection. Tell the story, leave the theatrics in editing alone. Think of the cave painting that told the story across the bounds of time. Maybe thats what this brother feels. No Slow mo, no lord of the rings or heavy metal crap. Learn to tell the story in your words, not mimicking someone else's yesterday style. You got, skilz, expect more from yourself.
Bet you are fun at the movies. Guess your short didn't make Sundance this year?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I enjoyed the video! You did a great job on it. I agree, I would like to see some of Migolito's work, so we can see what he is talking about!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Folks, you're not helping this guy. Based on some of your comments, I'm sure you're impressed with the bright pretty colors in the comic books you read. If that's your standard good for you. However, what I'm seeing is potential. He's good, but, he can be better. Perhaps much better. But, he wont get there surrounded by a bunch of yes men. Moreover, I suspect he knows it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Folks, you're not helping this guy. Based on some of your comments, I'm sure you're impressed with the bright pretty colors in the comic books you read. If that's your standard good for you. However, what I'm seeing is potential. He's good, but, he can be better. Perhaps much better. But, he wont get there surrounded by a bunch of yes men. Moreover, I suspect he knows it. Time will tell.
So what makes you an authority on the subject?

I will be the first to admit that I am no film critic. I simply said that I watched the video, and I liked what I saw. I can tell that there was a lot of work and effort that was put into it and I appreciate the fact that it was documented and put together for us to enjoy...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Great quality video and I'm sure it meant more to the hunter than the video showed. Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how chasing a cat with hounds until treed, then shooting it out of said tree is even remotely considered "Fair Chase".. I would never do it, but hey, to each their own I guess.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Go back to the movie theatre Roger eibert. Great video sorry to hear about your brother thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how chasing a cat with hounds until treed, then shooting it out of said tree is even remotely considered "Fair Chase".. I would never do it, but hey, to each their own I guess.
Hunting to me is not about the kill, it's about the experience. Did you catch the first part of the video where they talked about the 20 hour horse rides with nothing to show for it? Getting stuck in the snow and mud on some of the other days again without seeing a cat in the tree? That's not to mention the hundreds of hours and dollars spent training the dogs to bring them to the point of running a track to the tree.

There was a lot of hard work and disappoint that went into the making of that hunt that you didn't see. Congrats on the successful hunt and thanks for sharing the video with us.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts