Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been bitten by the traditional bowhunting bug and I have decided to go all in this year. My first order of business was to buy a Samick Sage with 35 pound limbs for a good training tool. I had a shooting session with a couple ol boys up Willard way to get my feet wet and have been practicing near daily ever since. It has been more fun than a person should be allowed to have. Of course a little frustrating as well. Learning to shoot with fingers was a little challenging. I really had a hard time fighting the urge to pluck like the kid from deliverance and I still do my share of plucking here and there, but my release and form is getting MUCH cleaner. I even made enough strides in my improvement I was able to bare shaft tune yesterday and actually get readable, repeatable results.

The bow pictured below is what I will be hunting with this year and it is a very old Ben Pearson Bushmaster. I have heard that it is Ben Pearson's most favored bow out of all the bows he has made. This bow was my grandpa's bow and my dad used it to kill his first buck! The catalog year for this bow is 1958, one year older than my dad and much closer to mint condition. I had to buy a new string for it (a basic dacron B50 string can be had for about $10) and had to replace the stick on rest with a new Bear Weather Rest (about $3.50). The limbs are 50 pounds at 28 inch draw, but with my short draw length it will probably pull closer to 45 pounds. The bare shaft that I was able to get to hit with a fletched shaft ended up being a 30" .500 spine gold tip traditional with 125 grain points and an additional 150 grains added to the insert in the form of Gold Tip fact weights. The first shot with only the 125 grain points and without the 150 grains of fact weight had a very stiff spine reaction which the hole in my vinyl fence can attest to. My broadhead is going to be a 125 grain 2 blade magnus buzzcut and the total arrow weight is right around 570 grains charging out of the gates at a zippy 150 fps. Okay, maybe it's not that zippy. If my arrow strikes pay dirt by the end of legal shooting light I'm golden. It will be sitting water holes in wait of elk and muleys this fall and will be sitting an Idaho bear bait pile with me the first week of May.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Super cool. Have you read "the witchery of archery"?

I have been shooting recurves my entire life and I still have never tried hunting big game with one. But they are so much fun to shoot and building your own arrows is an art form.

I keep telling myself that I will hunt elk with the recurve one year...... But so far I am sticking to cottontails.

Goodluck, may your arrows fly true and find their mark

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super cool. Have you read "the witchery of archery"?

I have been shooting recurves my entire life and I still have never tried hunting big game with one. But they are so much fun to shoot and building your own arrows is an art form.

I keep telling myself that I will hunt elk with the recurve one year...... But so far I am sticking to cottontails.

Goodluck, may your arrows fly true and find their mark
I have not read that book. I will have to add that one to the list. Cottontails with a recurve sounds like a riot. I may have to look for some jacks this spring!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I caught the same bug years ago and ended up having a blast hunting coastal blacktails with a 40lb recurve with cedar arrows, natural feathers, and glue on razor heads. I ended up connecting with a yearling fork-horn at 18 yards and he ran about 25 yards before piling up. It was a fun experience and I regret not taking any pictures. That was the era of disposable 35mm cameras and I must have left mine at home or something. I still have the bow but it needs a new string. Might have to break it back out someday. I've always wanted to try the traditional archery hunt on the Trout Creek unit in Oregon. Your adventure should be fun. Bring a blunt arrow and shoot everything in sight.------SS

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I caught the same bug years ago and ended up having a blast hunting coastal blacktails with a 40lb recurve with cedar arrows, natural feathers, and glue on razor heads. I ended up connecting with a yearling fork-horn at 18 yards and he ran about 25 yards before piling up. It was a fun experience and I regret not taking any pictures. That was the era of disposable 35mm cameras and I must have left mine at home or something. I still have the bow but it needs a new string. Might have to break it back out someday. I've always wanted to try the traditional archery hunt on the Trout Creek unit in Oregon. Your adventure should be fun. Bring a blunt arrow and shoot everything in sight.------SS
Good advice, SS. I'm definitely looking forward to a good "roving" day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts