Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought two tickets to the island!!!! Me and the wife are heading out in late January for 8 days. It's kinda a graduation, birthday, christmas present for me. I'm so freaking amped. I'm going to try to sneak a rod with me and do a little fishing. I can't wait!!!! -()/- -()/-

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have been to Hawaii once, went to Oahu and stayed on Waikiki beach. Ive heard there are much better places to go than that, but for me it was awesome. I had a great time when I went, snorkeling, surfing, sight seeing, swap meets, and I went out to Pearl Harbor too. Hawaii is great! The one thing I didnt get to do was deep sea fishing! Hope you get to wet a line, what island ya headed to?

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
There's no better feeling that cheating the winter by heading to the tropics. Which island are you heading to Goose?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well congratulations on graduating and on your kick ass trip to Hawaii!!! I've never been, but always wanted to go. I hope you have a killer time and I hope you get to fish. Maybe you could try spearfishing? That seems pretty sweet to me. Good luck man.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife's bro is an officer in the Army and is station in Hawaii. He has a beach house and I'm pretty sure it's on Oahu. When I say beach house I mean I can underhand throw a rock into the pacific from his back balcony. We'll never be able to go again for cheaper. No hotel, no rental car (We'll be using my brother in-law's truck). All we have to pay for is the tickets and any fun things we end up doing. My wife has been there like 3 times before and I've never been. We're planning on hitting up a few hikes, visiting Pearl Harbor, doing some shopping, the Polynesian Cultural Center, snorkling, surfing, I want to do a shark cage encounter, but my wife said hell no (i might still do it by myself) and obviously I want to do some fishing. We'll see what all we end up doing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are deep sea charters going out from Oahu, perhaps not as good as the Kona coast of the big island, but you should be able to catch Ahi (tuna), Mahi mahi, (dorado) and maybe Ono (wahoo) numerous other pelagic species. There is also great freshwater fishing for pea**** bass in a couple of reservoirs on the island. A google search should provide you a wealth of information.

If you brother-in-law doesn't have any fishing gear it will be readily availablefrom the base special services who incidentally might have access to fishing boats (offshore cruisers) the navy and the airforce both used to keep boats at Pearl Harbor that all branches of servicemen to charter at the fraction of the cost of a sportfishing charter. Ask your BIL to look into it.
Have a great time. Mele kaliki maka and howoli makahiki ho.(SP?) (Merry Christmas and happy New Year)
I'm big time jealous and don't let the charter captain tell you that any of the fish you catch are not good to eat. If they put them in the boat they are table fare.Take them home for a BBQ. Aloha.

Keep the wind to your back and your line tight.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Have fun, man!

Just don't come back with a "Hawaii is better" attitude. I had a friend go and ever since then, he's annoyingly dissatisfied with anything that didn't come from Hawaii.

He won't even go fishing because it's "not as fun as fishing in Hawaii". :lol:

Have a blast and take a bunch of pics to post upon your return.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
If you like to hunt, take a short boat ride to Lanai and shoot some free range axis, It's very reasonable and the meat is absolutely second to none. That's what I'm doin in 2 weeks!

Steve- Palawai outfitters- (808)565-3000

In any case, have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts