Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do it? My father in-law has a bunch of the basic equipment, but he isn't too serious about it. Just wondering if any of you guys do it very much.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I have done it and it is hard work, nothing like you see on the TV on the Discovery Channel.

My dad was a miner so it is in my blood, at least a little bit of it. I have never found more than enough to perhaps pay for the weekend trip to do it. And that is if you can find the right spot and have enough time to get anything out of it.

But there is always a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Kind of like hunting, if you are doing for the meat it is cheaper to buy it, but if you need a good excuse to go and enjoy the great outdoors....go for it;)

Not much placer deposits in Utah. Colorado, Nevada, California and Arizona have good placer deposits but Utah somehow got passed over in placer deposits.

If your serious you may want to join something like GPAA that owns claims and if you are a member can prospect their claims.

·
Registered
638 Posts
When I was a youngster one of our relatives took us to pan for gold on the Powder River in Oregon. We found a few flecks of gold. It was fun. There must have been upwards of 5 cents worth. We kept the flecks for many years.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it wouldn't be cost effective, but still good to get out and let the kids try something new and see some new country.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts