Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF YOUR LIKE I AM, YOU HAVE SEEN ALL KINDS OF GEESE ON THE GOLF COURSE. DOES THIS BOTHER ANYONE ELSE? IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERE ARE MORE GEESE IN THE CITY THAT OUT WHERE WE CAN HUNT THEM. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE FISH AND GAME ALLOW BOW HUNTERS TO GO IN AND SHOOT A FEW GEESE SO THAT THEY KNOW THERE NOT SAFE THERE ANYMORE. SURE WOULD LIKE TO HERE YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS, AND HOW YOU THINK IT COULD BE HANDLED. I know the fish and game are trying to get them off for the golfers, they posted that last year. Just wanded to hear solutions not sarcasm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
And after they allow us to do that we could all go hunt the rest areas on all the wmas and the bird refuge!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
neckcollar said:
IF YOUR LIKE I AM, YOU HAVE SEEN ALL KINDS OF GEESE ON THE GOLF COURSE. DOES THIS BOTHER ANYONE ELSE? IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERE ARE MORE GEESE IN THE CITY THAT OUT WHERE WE CAN HUNT THEM. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE FISH AND GAME ALLOW BOW HUNTERS TO GO IN AND SHOOT A FEW GEESE SO THAT THEY KNOW THERE NOT SAFE THERE ANYMORE. SURE WOULD LIKE TO HERE YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS, AND HOW YOU THINK IT COULD BE HANDLED
It doesn't have anything to do with the fish and game. You would have to get permission from the golf course manager, and the city in which you would be discharging your deadly weapon. And then you would have to deal with all of the irate neighbors wanting to know why you are killing their "pet" geese.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
If geese didn't have secure places (cities, golf courses, rest areas, etc.) to loaf and roost on then very few people would kill geese. Besides, how fun would it be to shoot a resting goose of the fairway at 10 feet? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sprigz said:
If geese didn't have secure places (cities, golf courses, rest areas, etc.) to loaf and roost on then very few people would kill geese. Besides, how fun would it be to shoot a resting goose of the fairway at 10 feet? :roll:
I agree with you, geese do need a place to rest, I mostly wanted to see how other people would take care of problem geese. Golf courses send in numerous complaints to the fish and game about the geese that winter there. Thats why the run the banding projects on these places and parks. I know in other states that they allow people to hunt the courses with archery equiptment, and that has helped with the problem, but didnt solve it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
Loke said:
And then you would have to deal with all of the irate neighbors wanting to know why you are killing their "pet" geese.
Do you mean the same geese they complain about crapping everywhere and chasing thier children around? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Texscala said:
In Minnesota a few years ago I was visiting family and the local golf coarses would just let hunters come in a few times a year when they thought the geese were doing too much damage.
did it help, or work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
What I wanna know is why archery equipment? I would wrather be hit with a 3.5" BB shot from 250 yards than an arrow. I dont know the exact trajectory of a bow with 70 lbs draw length, but Im sure it would be far more deadly and destructive at longer distances than a shot gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
huntducksordietrying said:
What I wanna know is why archery equipment? I would wrather be hit with a 3.5" BB shot from 250 yards than an arrow. I dont know the exact trajectory of a bow with 70 lbs draw length, but Im sure it would be far more deadly and destructive at longer distances than a shot gun.
they use flew flew arrows, they only go about 100 yards or so. Only deadly out to 50 yards or so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
neckcollar said:
huntducksordietrying said:
What I wanna know is why archery equipment? I would wrather be hit with a 3.5" BB shot from 250 yards than an arrow. I dont know the exact trajectory of a bow with 70 lbs draw length, but Im sure it would be far more deadly and destructive at longer distances than a shot gun.
they use flew flew arrows, they only go about 100 yards or so. Only deadly out to 50 yards or so
I thought about that about half way threw my post. Would these be mandatory equipment or optional? It would be cool to shoot a goose off the water or ground with one of those guiatine broad heads they use for turkeys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
neckcollar said:
ya that would be cool but do you think its fair to shoot them in there resting spots throught the city
No I dont. I think that they should have a place to rest and not worry. I think if we raided thier rest areas (golf corses, wma rest areas, ect.) it would push them out of the state to a place where they can rest. Im not saying we would never seen another canadian here in utah, but Im sure the numbers would seem to be reduced. I think its good that they have some places to go. If we all had nice big ponds in our back yard they would be there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
The biggest problem with the golf course geese is that they have a tendency to take up year-round residence. That is the reason that East Bay was offering free green fees for bringing a shotgun and eliminating a few geese. The only flaw in their plan was that they set their own season dates. That was the only issue that the DWR had with the plan. I don't think that pushing geese off the golf courses will have an impact on hunting. There are other places where they can rest, like the rest areas on the WMAs. If the golf courses were not available, the geese would simply move to where ever they went before there were golf courses for them to loaf on. I'm all for preserving habitat for our wildlife. I would rather maintain our wetlands for wildlife, and am disgusted when I see the marshes drained so they can build another strip mall. But I guess that is the price we all pay to have a WalMart and a Home Depot in our back yard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
l agree the birds need resting areas. I know bear river refuge has set up zones you cant hunt for that purpose. I like having geese in the city, but I dont like going to a local hunting area, spending the day there and not even seeing a goose fly by. And then on my way home see 200 or so on river bend, or mulligans or any where else. Geese will go where there is little to no hunting preasure, so thats why you see so many on public parks and golf courses
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
You're all overlooking one vital aspect-
We bow hunt, partially, to take advantage of STEALTH. Y'know, being a ghost or apparition. Who's the wiser? 8)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top