Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Good Elk Hunting 1-3 Years After a Controlled Burn Fire?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Lonetree 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that new foliage attracts wildlife. Have any of you had experience hunting elk on land that was hit recently by fire? Seen more elk than normal going after young plants?

#3 ·
elk and bear. in spring, bears love to forage in recent burns digging roots, etc. elk also forage consistently in the burns. as a hydrologist, i love burns. every tree is a straw sucking water out of the system and putting it into the atmosphere. burns are good. natural. productive in many ways. attracts lots of wildlife ranging from rodents and birds to elk, deer and moose. burns in quercus gambellii, oak brush which resprouts from root brings in lots of deer in the following years.

#6 ·
I've seen them eat charred wood, there is a massive mineral release after a fire. So all of the new growth for the first few years draws them in for two reasons, high nutrient content, and the fresh new growth.

And then the Forest service comes in and sprays for weeds after fires, this draws in animals too, and ruins any benefit that fire may have had for wildlife.

#8 ·
I've seen them eat charred wood, there is a massive mineral release after a fire. So all of the new growth for the first few years draws them in for two reasons, high nutrient content, and the fresh new growth.

And then the Forest service comes in and sprays for weeds after fires, this draws in animals too, and ruins any benefit that fire may have had for wildlife.
Thats crazy. Thanks for all the feedback, I learn something new every year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.