Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sittin at home today reading a few things and noticed some clouds starting to come outside. I took a look at the current radar and I decided to go ahead and try my luck. I rode out to OB and there was only one truck in the lot with a trailer. I glassed the area for awhile to see if anything was flying. The clouds were at a break at the moment and I was still wondering where I should go. Well, I threw on my waders and was getting everything ready when another guy pulled up with a boat. He asked if I had seen anything and I told him I was just about to head out. He was by himself and asked if I wanted to come along in the boat and I gladly accepted...one of the best choices I've ever made.

All in all it worked out for the both of us: I didn't have to hike 3 miles and he had recently had knee surgery a few weeks prior and it was hard to handle the boat and decoys by himself, so I was a big help. We got all set up and the wind picked up. I was telling him how I wasn't a good shot and how the top bird on my list was a cottontop as I've never killed one. Well, about five minutes after we were set up, we had a flock of about 20 teal give our spread a look. We let them come in, he called the shot, and we fired away. He knocked down one bird which I had my bead on so I moved to the next bird and dropped it and had just enough time to get off one more shot and drop another teal. Here I am telling him I'm a horrible shot and I bust a double out of that flock!

The ducks were flying in waves about every 5-10 minutes. We had a flock of spooners come in a decided to pass on them when he jumps up and says "that back one is a pinner!" so he dropped a juvenile drake pintail. We decided we've give it about 5 more minutes until we would pick up and the ducks started flying again. We had some ducks swing to my side and I put a lead on a duck and fired and watched it fold. The guy's dog made the retrieve and he looked at me, handed me the bird and said, "congratulations, here's your first drake widgeon." I was way stoked! He dropped a canvasback a couple minutes later and we finished the day with 7 ducks between us. My widgeon didn't have full color just yet, but I was excited. All-in-all, I couldn't stop thanking this guy for taking me out there and it was a great day in the field! I've got a few bad pictures which I'll upload later!

·
Registered
292 Posts
way to go! i also went out because of the clouds and got a few. Should have had a limit but i was not shooting good today.. missed a drake buff! :x oh well. I guess good deeds in helping people with knee problems pays off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats on the cottontop. Everytime I drive past the rest area at Farmington bay they stand out like sore thumbs. Still looking for my first drake though. Got a few hens but just cannot seem to pick the right bird in the flock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts