Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Everyone. My son is getting into trap and skeet shooting. He has joined the local youth club. He is shooting his semi auto now and would like to get an over/ under. What are some of your recommendations? I know this doesn't good hand in hand. But what are some cheaper good guns you guys have used? Can you give me the pros and cons to the different brands? Thanks in advance!

·
Hunter/Friend
177 Posts
I wasn't disappointed in the Stoeger my friend's son had in .410, they offer a SxS and O/U. It feels solid, it's cheap, and I was half tempted to have my son start using it except that is is a big heavier than the Mossberg .410 Youth I ended up with. I might swing back through when he is 12ish and get the 20g. Stoeger is under the Baretta/Benelli Umbrella, so its not terrible.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I like the CZ Canvasback 12 O/U with the 30" barrel. It's not an expensive pee shooter either. I think they run about $900. Another great CZ is the All-Terrain. If you can get over the green Cerakote barrel this would be a great "all around" shotgun to use on trap, waterfowl and upland. They also run in the $900 range. It's cheaper than a dedicated Citori or CZ trap gun that will put you back 3K +.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The one that fits him and he can shoot straight. Don't know where you are shooting but I do know at the Ogden Gun Club all you have to do is ask if you can try someone's shotgun. Try a few and find one that seems to fit him at this point, chances are as he grows changes might have to be made to the stock so it's never a bad idea to purchase a trap gun with an adjustable butt pad and comb.
If you purchase a cheap shotgun that doesn't fit and he struggles to shoot the kid will loose interest or you will be spending money to get the cheap gun to fit or purchasing another shotgun.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I bought a Sarsilmaz over under over 20 years ago, still my favorite gun, and it was pretty cheap, no bells or whistles.

When I go to a trap shoot and someone tries it out I almost can't get it back. It's shorter and easy to swing.
Probably don't make that model anymore, I haven't really checked them out, they were a cheaper import from Düzce Turkey. It's the 4th one from the right with the slip on butt rest.
Wood Air gun Musical instrument Shotgun Art

Reactions: hunting777

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mention Swing easy. What are some of your guys favorite barrel length for trap and skeet? Is shorter or longer barrels better or meet in the middle somewhere?

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
I started shooting actual trap way late in life. I had played around shooting it in my younger days with a Winchester 1200 with a 28" barrel. When I picked up my Ruger Red Label 20 I headed to the trap range and it seamed like it swung quicker with a barrel that was 2" shorter, but the whole shotgun was shorter due to the over/under design as compared to my pump action that I had used before.

So for me it would be a shorter barrel, it seamed like it took forever to get that longer barrel on target as I swung it from one side to another as compared to the shorter barreled and action of the O/U.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
What Critter said, it was easier for me to get from one target to the next on sporting clays.

Reactions: hunting777

·
Registered
65 Posts
How big/old is your boy? My son shoots on the local youth team. Most of the kids shoot Browning Citori CX, CXT, or CXS models. They come in full size and "Midas" youth size. They are a little pricey. Depending on what club your kid is shooting with, someone might have a connection to get them a little cheaper. My kid shoots a CZ SCTP Sterling. It shoots well and has held up really well through about 5,000 rounds which isn't much but so far no problems. It was about half the price of the Citori. Things to look for include: Heavy is good. Your kid will have to build muscle strength to shoot more than a round of trap but the weight eats a lot of recoil and makes it easier to shoot 100 rounds or more in a row. If the club shoots competitions, some require 300 rounds/day. Longer barrels are better for trap. They swing smoother and keep swinging after the shot. At least 28" but most dedicated trap guns are between 30 and 34". Some people like shorter barrels for skeet. The swing there is much quicker but follow through is even more important so you want the barrel to keep moving. High volume shooting will destroy most less expensive field grade/hunting guns. The actions are mostly aluminum alloy and they just don't hold up. A couple kids shot field grade less expensive guns and they had basically worn them out part way through one season. A kid on my son's team put 30,000 rounds through his browning last year. New springs and pins and he's good for another 30,000. You want a steel action. Aluminum is lighter, nicer to carry in the field, but as I mentioned earlier, light isn't good for volume shooting. My boys gun weighs 8.5 pounds. It's a tank. It's also a powder puff to shoot. CZ makes a couple steel bodied target specific guns that are around the $1,000-$1,200 range. People seem to have good luck with the Tristar TT-15 Sporting. It's around $1,000. You can get trap specific models for more money. The CZ All-American is the one mentioned above. It is a great gun but in the same price range as the Brownings and Berettas. I'd go with one of those. Check UGE for used guns. There's a Browning BT-99 which is a single barrel trap gun for $1,000. Obviously can't shoot doubles with that. There is a Beretta DT-11 on there that I'd really like. That can be yours for just $7,500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts