Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog
Our kids were 4 and 8 when I saw an ad on KSL for a dog. Claimed he was a cow dog and just a pup fresh off his momma. I called and a kid answered the phone. I asked if I sent him $50 would he hold him for me? He said sure as the ad said he was free to a good home. Made a fast trip to Moroni the next evening and saw what looked like exactly what he was- a black lab. So much for the cow dog as the kids saw him and immediately fell head over heels in love. And after seeing the conditions that family lived in I was thankful I’d sent them the money. Gus became a huge part of our family for the next 12 years. He lived to go with me on a four wheeler anywhere. He loved hauling small bales with me and looking under the bales for gophers. He loved the kids and my daughter even won a talent show using him as her “horse” as she ran the barrels with Gus happily running beside her on his leash. He wasn’t a cow dog and he wasn’t a hunting dog either. But he loved chasing raccoons and jack rabbits. Friday the kids loaded their horses in the trailer and headed for the mountain to enjoy a ride in the mild November weather. Gus went along like he had done a thousand times. But somehow he fell off the truck and the trailer got him. My kids are devastated as are all of us. At least it was quick. And he was with the kids doing what he loved. Gus better be in heaven because if he isn’t then send me wherever he is at. We buried him next to a couple great horses here on our place. I’m a 53 year old man who is heartbroken tonight. I ask ya send out an extra prayer for my kids if ya would? They are having a hell of a time. Rest easy Augustus! We love ya pal ❤
I think a hell of a lot more of a great dog or a great horse than the majority of the people who occupy space on this planet. We lost one of the best.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Oh man, that's a tuff one Cowboy!! I to lost a great dog, companion and buddy this year :cry: I'm not that far ahead of you in years, and I shed tears like I didn't believe I had. Prayers heading your way and especially for the kids. Sorry to hear this happen.

It's been six months since "Brigadier General Red" left me and I still think I'll see him waiting for me at the gate when I drive in the yard. Getting a little choked up thinking about it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's a horrible feeling losing a dog. Sorry for the loss. I've known friends who have never gotten another dog, because they didn't want to have to go through the pain again.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
724 Posts
Losing a partner is really tough- especially when we're not ready for it.

Reactions: cowboy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Losing loved ones is always horrible, and I shudder just thinking about it. You have to do everything for your dog to do well. I recently started using CBD for pets, which my friend recommended for my dog. This product has proven to be very good and valuable, and I have learned that it has many good reviews, so I can fully trust it. Good luck, everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts