Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i havent hit too many hatches, and or got a chance to use dry flies much yet, but is there a better silicone goop to maintain a dry fly's floatation, iyho?

sm

·
Registered
385 Posts
i rarely use floatant anymore unless i am fishing fast water. when my dry fly starts to become an emerger i simply put about 20 inches of line out of the tip of my rod and make many false cast until the hackle dries. the key is to have dry hackle.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I disagree. Floatant makes dries float a lot longer on any water type. I usually treat my dries initially with just a SMALL amount of loon Aquel and when it finally becomes waterlogged I use a desicant such as Frogs Fanny to suck the water out of the dry. The desicant is also great for CDC patterns.

·
Registered
980 Posts
flyguy7 said:
I disagree. Floatant makes dries float a lot longer on any water type. I usually treat my dries initially with just a SMALL amount of loon Aquel and when it finally becomes waterlogged I use a desicant such as Frogs Fanny to suck the water out of the dry. The desicant is also great for CDC patterns.
I agree with flyguy7

I dislike any gel type floatant. Most of my flies have CDC on them, and that crap ruins the flotation qualities of CDC.

I like the powder stuff. Frog's Fanny works great for me. It would make a rock float... well maybe not, but it sure works good.

If you want to use a goop type fly floatant use Bug Flote It's the best one I have used. But once again, I don't like to use it because it destroys CDC. If you don't have any CDC on your fly, it's great.

Edit: If it's windy out and you are opening Frogs Fanny, it will go everywhere, including your mouth. Just a warning. :wink:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Ginks works- Loon works- most of them work to a point, you can make your own if you want. Just remember the Ginks or whatever gel goes on when the fly is dry- it repels the water keeping the fly floating. It doesn't work if the fly is water logged, that's when the Frog Fanny or what ever comes into play.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great replies.

I prefer Loon Aquel for it's consistency in cold weather, and Frog's Fanny for CDC stuff. I have a buddy that swears by Mucilin for foam flies. He mashes the Mucilin into the pores of the foam. I want to try out the new Shimizake stuff.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I agree with what Cheech said. Aquel stays relatively temperature stable but Gink tends to get runny when its hot outside or too thick to squeeze out of the bottle when its cold outside. Shimazaki shake work ok but nothing special. For a desicant I'll let ya in on my favorite set up. Empty some, but not all of the crystals out of a container of Loon Top Ride then mix 50% of a bottle of Frogs Fanny in there. The heavy top ride crystals work the light frogs fanny into the fly really well and you don't have to mess with the applicator brush.

·
Registered
980 Posts
flyguy7 said:
I agree with what Cheech said. Aquel stays relatively temperature stable but Gink tends to get runny when its hot outside or too thick to squeeze out of the bottle when its cold outside. Shimazaki shake work ok but nothing special. For a desicant I'll let ya in on my favorite set up. Empty some, but not all of the crystals out of a container of Loon Top Ride then mix 50% of a bottle of Frogs Fanny in there. The heavy top ride crystals work the light frogs fanny into the fly really well and you don't have to mess with the applicator brush.
I am going to have to try that out. I hate that applicator that comes with Frog's Fanny. Seems like I waste 3/4 of the bottle by pulling that little brush out and then contents flying all over the place with just the slightest breeze. Thanks.

·
87 Posts
Granted I am a bit old school but I have found a patch of chamois pinned to my vest does a great job of drying out water logged flys. You just place the fly in the chamois and pinch it between your fingers for 30 seconds and it is dry.

I find if I apply Loon or Mucilin before fishing and use the chamois I can float a fly all day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts