Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cloud Water Sky People in nature Lake
What should have been a 2 man limit on geese quickly turned into a single goose being taken, from multiple groups of geese.. for whatever reason, each time a goose or duck would come in, my first shot wouldn’t go off because of a light primer strike, then I followed that up some bad shooting. Unfortunately, my son wasn’t shooting any better.

has anyone had the light primer strike continuously happen? It happened about 5 times and every time it was the first shell..

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
Too much oil around the firing pin hole?

The first shot would firing pin would clean it out some and then the second round would be fine. Then after a while the oil might accumulate again.

Just guessing here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I’ve had firing pins break and cause that problem. Also I’ve had firing pin springs wear out and cause that.
Old shells could also be a part of the problem.

Good luck sorting it out. That’s a bummer when gun malfunctions cause you to miss birds. Been there,
done that lots of times, and it always makes me mad.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m going to clean it tonight and run some different shells through it, hopefully that will remedy the problem

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my other Mossberg for 15 years, without any issues whatsoever. That said, I am looking at a Benelli m2

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
When you find the problem odds are it is going to be something simple.

A complete cleaning of the action would be the first start.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What’s the deal with the trigger on m2’s?

not sure, DallanC but I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, also made sure oil didn’t build up around the firing pin

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
If I'm going to be in really cold conditions, I use teflon spray for lube. It comes out wet, seeps into parts, then the fluid flashes off and leaves the teflon powder. Neat stuff.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If I'm going to be in really cold conditions, I use teflon spray for lube. It comes out wet, seeps into parts, then the fluid flashes off and leaves the teflon powder. Neat stuff.

-DallanC
Good tip. I haven't tried that yet. My sx3 is susceptible to gumming up in cold conditions if I leave it wet. I've been running with a thin film and leaving it barrel down when not in use. The Teflon spray might fix that.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
What’s the deal with the trigger on m2’s?

not sure, DallanC but I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, also made sure oil didn’t build up around the firing pin
I bought M2s in 12 and 20 gauge last year. The triggers were both ~6# with a ton of creep. Sent them back, Benelli said they were "in spec". I ended up swapping out the springs myself. Now under 4#, still have creep.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s interesting Dallan, never even heard of thatI’ll give it a shot!

Is 6# within spec on those? I was also looking at a beretta A400, I wonder if the trigger is better on that

1 - 20 of 29 Posts