Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up this morning and spotted a couple herds at first light. One of them was a 2 point and I was seriously considering going after it, all though I hate killing 2 points. But instead i decided to go check the next canyon over. Just as I came over the top I saw a wide buck, that looked pretty decent. I didnt get a shot so I ran over into a clearing so I could get a good look at the other side. He came up and I was about 400 yards away. I shot 4 rounds and missed them all. I just couldnt hold steady after running that hard. He went into a bunch of thick trees and I made a sneek over there. He jumped up and I nailed him right in the gut. Dang it. He ran out of sight and I followed him down into a smaller canyon where I found a pretty decent blood trail. I snuck up within about 5 yards of him beded down in some thick trees and BAM! He was down. He is a 4X3 about 20 inches wide. Not as big as I thought he would be but its better than a fork horn.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Next time try looking around for something to use as a rest, I know you are thinking you do not have time for that, but actually you do. It only takes a few seconds to spot anything to help. i gut shot a deer before and it really sucks.

Great job on getting your deer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sagebrush said:
I know you are thinking you do not have time for that, but actually you do. quote]
Thats exactly what I was thinking and actually i looked but there wasnt nothing and that buck was running fast. Im just glad I found him, and he didnt go to waste.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When you gut shoot an animal it sure makes for a mess when cleaning them out, and you don't want to injure them, but on the bright side you don't ruin any meat. The last two years both deer I shot right in the heart and exited through the opposite shoulder. That sure makes a mess of that shoulder, but that is how I always seem to hit them. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts