Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I didn't know there were bears in the cache unit. Nice job. I'll have to be on the lookout when I'm deer hunting.
Yeah there are a handful of them running around up here. The hunt unit is rather large, but I wanted to try to get it done on the Cache portion of it. I could have gone as far south as SLC and Evanston to hunt, but we chose to keep it local!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Did you start by that water hole I mentioned? Just curious. Did you find track or did the dogs find a scent? Where up there did you end up harvesting him if you don't mind me asking? I have now heard of a few more on the North side.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Did you start by that water hole I mentioned? Just curious. Did you find track or did the dogs find a scent? Where up there did you end up harvesting him if you don't mind me asking? I have now heard of a few more on the North side.
We never started the bear on that particular water hole, but we weren't far from it either.

How we got the bear started is a couple elk hunter seen one of our trucks with dog boxes Saturday morning and waved him over. One of these elk hunters had killed an elk the night before and while him and his buddies were gutting it out this bear showed up. I guess this bear got close enough that the hunter had to whack it across the face with a stick to keep it at bay (he left his bow back at camp when he went for help to get the elk out). That pushed the bear back a ways but the whole time they were gutting and prepping the elk the bear was circling about 20 yards out.

The elk hunter gave us a good location of his kill and as we walked our dogs in to where he described the dogs all lit up and the race was on. The bear had buried the gut pile during the night and was still right there when we got there about 8:00 in the morning, so it was a hot track from get go. The bear initially headed north towards Temple Flat but made a loop just before hitting the road and headed south again dropping down to just above the road to Hardware. A couple of the guys that were on foot trying to keep up with the dogs ran into the bear as it was coming towards them. They said a couple of the faster dogs had the bear stopped and bayed up in a clearing giving the rest of the dogs a chance to catch up. About the time the main pack of hounds arrived the bear started looking for timber and treed in the closest patch of pines.

I'm pretty sure this was the same bear that had been raiding camps in broad daylight along the sinks road earlier this summer. I'm also sure this is the same bear that stole a downed elk from another hunter in Mill Hollow last year. This bear wasn't particularly aggressive towards humans, but it wasn't afraid to approach them to steal food either making him a bit of concern for the local DWR officials. I'm sure they are relieved he's gone.

Just a couple of notes, the bear hide measured 7 feet nose to tail when skinned and had a 19 inch skull. This was the first fall bear tag ever to be filled on the unit since they first started issuing tags a dozen or so years ago.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped, and congratulations to Matt.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang Kev, it looks like you beat me to it! You are more eloquent with words anyways, so it probably sounds better coming from you! :)

Yeah, Kevin pretty much summed it up, other than the fact that he didn't mention that I was running with some of the baddest houndoggers around! It was a blast to hunt with them. Even though I was the one to pull the trigger, this bear is just as much theirs as it is mine!

I am still sorting through pictures and video, but I will get some more posted on here before too long.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.