Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see the story about the North Rim Grand Canyon buffalo hunt. They need some taken out !!
I tried to get the link into this post but couldn't get it to work.
I'll bet that would be a tough time getting one out !!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I googled it and it came up.
If I was a little younger, and still had my horses.....
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
It's a big discussion on another forum.

Seeing that you get to shoot the bison of their choice, pack it out of remote country, and then turn the meat over to the Arizona G&F with the hope to get your fair share............no thankd

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opps.....I didn't read that part.
I have to agree with you with that info.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
There is a statement in there somewhere that the shooter may get a whole bison but I think that is going to depend on how many that their group shoots. Perhaps they will divide up what is shot that week amongst all the participants.

But you also have to remember at how hot it can be in that area even in September/October. I think that there is going to be a lot of wasted meat due to heat spoilage. Then if you haul in horses to help you quite possibly are also going to have to haul in feed and water for them.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
No horses allowed. FAQs state you have to pack out on foot. Can bring 3-5 guests as a support crew.

I’m guessing this would be a very physically demanding volunteer assignment. I’m going to try for it.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The fair share element I read sounds proper. It's the overall logistics that are so tough. You have to have a team fully prepared to hunt without choice of dates, many of which includes getting that much meat out of early season desert heat. Getting that many people committed without being able to plan far in advance would be difficult.

Amazing opportunity if you have the team who can be that flexible. The team would need to be able to carry 100+ pounds through challenging temperatures and environment. I'm doubtful my body would be up for it. Hopefully a team from UWN gets a shot and shares a TR.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Are you limited to killing only 1? The shared distribution of meat to volunteer teams at a max of 1 per team makes it sound like they anticipate some teams may kill more than 1 while others might kill 0. If the cap is in the info, I missed it. I didn’t see that addressed at all.

Not knowing anything about this herd, this has me interested. I don’t suspect it’s like Yellowstone where you’d just shoot all of them from the road. This could get a little nuts.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
A few years ago a friend had the bison permit that he drew threw the Arizona G&F and it went unfilled. All of the bison were down inside of the park off of the top almost to the river.

I suspect that this is the herd that they are thinking of thinning out. You have to go to where the water is and all the water is down hill.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Personally it ain’t worth it and they should move them to other states to boost their populations instead of taking 100s out that won’t produce anymore calves for the future. This is a terrible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
A lot of states don't want them. Bison are very tough to manage. They can go through most fences if they want and a number of states that would like them don't want a cross bred bison, in that they want the pure blood with no cattle DNA which this herd has.

About the only people that want them are those who have private herds, either hunt-able ones or not.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
They are transplanting some. But there are limits to the ability to do that. This is a cull, nothing more. They need less bison in the area, and that means some need to be killed.

I’d think hunters would think chances to kill an animal they probably otherwise wouldn’t ever get to kill would think this was kind of cool. I wish I could say I’m surprised at some of the hunting community response, but I’m figuring out just how anti-hunting many of our own really can be.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A lot of states don't want them. Bison are very tough to manage. They can go through most fences if they want and a number of states that would like them don't want a cross bred bison, in that they want the pure blood with no cattle DNA which this herd has.

About the only people that want them are those who have private herds, either hunt-able ones or not.
Was not aware these were crossbred kind.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
There are only around 6 to a dozen bison herds that are genetically pure. Utah has 3 of them. The Henry Mountain herd, Antelope Island here, and the Book Cliffs herd. But that Book cliff herd is questionable since the Ute Indian tribe introduced bison onto their portion of the Book Cliffs and I am not sure if they are genetically pure.

Then you have the Yellowstone herd where the Utah bison came from. A number of those have been transplanted to reservations but I have no idea if they are keeping them pure or interbreeding them and making beef-a-lo

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
They are transplanting some. But there are limits to the ability to do that. This is a cull, nothing more. They need less bison in the area, and that means some need to be killed.

I’d think hunters would think chances to kill an animal they probably otherwise wouldn’t ever get to kill would think this was kind of cool. I wish I could say I’m surprised at some of the hunting community response, but I’m figuring out just how anti-hunting many of our own really can be.
Agreed. This seems like a fantastic opportunity for a hunter to get to kill a bison that otherwise wouldn’t. I’ve been running scenarios through my mind how to make it work since I read about it. My problem is that I don’t like the print where I read that you would get an animal however it might not be the one you shot. As a hunter, I want the one I shot. It would be awkward for me to take another’s kill or have someone else take my kill.

Beggars can’t be choosers though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts