Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
The biggest problem with recruiting help is that you will have such short notice.

It's bad enough when a buddy calls and asks for your help at 3 in the morning to get his elk off the mountain but when you need to plan a week off to help on a bison hunt it is totally different

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
... don't want a cross bred bison, in that they want the pure blood with no cattle DNA which this herd has.
Wait wait wait... I got utterly raked over the coals making that observation from members here years back, Goob in particular vehemently argued against it.. I quoted an article I had read on it... but apparently that was in error? IDK ...

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would go and do the work simply for the experience, any meat I would get would just be an added bonus.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It's a big discussion on another forum.

Seeing that you get to shoot the bison of their choice, pack it out of remote country, and then turn the meat over to the Arizona G&F with the hope to get your fair share............no thankd

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Yep, read that on that other forum as well.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I’m ashamed. I’ve been buried up to my eyeballs the last few days and forgot to apply in their open window. That was going to be my chance!

·
Registered
604 Posts
The documentation states very clearly that the shooters for each of the four hunts will get one bison to split and they can split this with support staff. So from what I read and understand there will be 12 shooters selected for 4 hunts or 3 shooters per hunt, each shooter is recommenced to bring 3 to 5 support persons. One bison split 12 to 18 ways isn't a whole lot to go around.

I did apply but in the way off chance I am one of the 25 preselected I will be making some phone calls to find out more of the particulars as I'm not dropping off into the canyon so I can pack a bison out of that hell hole. I read the warnings about needing to be extremely fit to do this hunt but wondered why then didn't explain more about the conditions. If they expect the volunteers to hike down to the river then pack a bison out I would think they should be saying that right up front because that's very extreme and not many will be able to do that let alone finding 3 to 5 friends in that good of shape.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have seen lots of bison up on top of the Kaibab plateau in and around the boundaries of the Grand Canyon NP.

I also knew a rancher at one point who told me I could go kill any head of cattle that I could find in Kanab canyon down in Arizona. He told me that once the moo moo cows get down into Kanab canyon they can't get out and they become feral moo moo's.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Bison have also found their way off the top off the plateau and down into Kanab canyon or other drainages. That being said I also doubt that the bison are actually in the bottom along the Colorado River.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts