Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone use or owned the avery blind grass,just wondering if its and good and if late season is a good year around collor?
They have about the best deal i've found any info on them or other would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I was disappointed in the Avery I put on last season. But hey... it was my first jab at making a home made blind for my boat and I learned a ton quickly about all the things I did wrong that probably led to its quick demise. This year my local store had Tanglefree grass mats and I'm working on totally revamping my design and getting it grassed up this week. They are probably both the same manufacturer, but the Tanglefree's seem a bit stouter. All the people I know like the original fast grass.

As far as the coloring, last year I used some green camo spray paint over the grass and it helped it blend in early season just fine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Honestly it's garbage.

Very brittle, and won't last long.

Original Fastgrass is the best

http://www.backwaterperformancesyst...?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=289
Glade tell us how you really feel...Lol (I guess you've never been one to hold back your feelings so I can't hold it against ya...:))
All joking aside if you're not planning on folding the Avery RealGrass you'll be fine. If you are I'd recommend backing it with some type of plastic fencing or chicken wire. That gives it plenty of strength and will last for years. On top of that the Early season and Mid season grass colors are AWESOME!! No painting needed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nothing but love for Avery stuff from me, and they have done a great job improving products over the years. Maybe Y'all have done the same with the Real Grass recently, but it was an expensive mistake I made with my first boat (1436 I got from you).

Believe it or not I did second guess posting in fear of offending my homie Josh :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It is very brittle and not weaved very tight. I have used it and it didn't last a year. But it does have its place it is very light and if you use a solid backer behind it the spacing is not a big deal.
Fast grass is by far the best and will last for years but it is very heavy so on a small boat small motor you can have issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For years, I have always used the plastic screen material and just cut bundles of reeds at the boat dock and zip tied them to the screening.
Last year during a backyard maintenance session I realized that my palm fronds could be put to good use.
Now, I know that you Northerners don't get palm fronds but I used the fronds by peeling them away from the stalk and then weaving them intermittently thru the screen material. I ended up making my boat blind out of free palm fronds and an afternoon of weaving them. I still have the grass sheets from last year and they just need some fresh green woven in but it was a heck of a savings. I would think that a few bundles of phrag could do the same. I keep them in 4'x2' sections and then hang them on my boat blind and also use them to separate the voids between hunters in my boat. They hang easily with a few clothes pins off of a guideline around my boat. The nice thing is that if it is shallow, then we stash the boat upwind and utilize the sheets in the same fashion as the pics in the previous post..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the fast grass really that heavy,the reason I ask is I hunt a spot that my blind are destroyed within a week of being built and I would be caring the grass and my gear for maybe 3/4 of a mile.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Is the fast grass really that heavy,the reason I ask is I hunt a spot that my blind are destroyed within a week of being built and I would be caring the grass and my gear for maybe 3/4 of a mile.
I don't know the exact weight of it but it is probably 4 times as heavy as the Avery stuff. Also when it gets wet it retains the water and be even heavier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts