Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we made it out Friday and Saturday in hopes that our regular goose spot would produce some birds. We waited around till about eight Friday morning to watch some flocks work and find out where they wanted to be, after we felt like we pretty much had them patterned we decided to wait and set up for them that afternoon, in the meantime we went and jump shot a spot on the river that is always packed with mallards resting the day away. Due to some not so spot on shooting I only walked away with one greenie, but my bro inlaw got his first triple, all big mature drakes. With that behind us we went and set out our goose spread, got in our blinds and waited, and we didn't wait long. The first flock had seven birds in it, I pulled down one and the bro inlaw knocked down two.....one of which was banded! This was a first for either of us. About fifteen minutes later there was about seventy birds working us, five landed and that was enough to finish our day. The next morning we accidentally slept in and much to our disapointmant the birds got to our field about the same time as us. So as we set up we watched four flocks come in and flare out at first sight of our dumb a**es. But no worries we got it together and waited about two hours before they couldnt take it any longer and had to come back. The first flock to return had about thirty birds in it, we both pulled down doubles and much to my surprise when i picked up my second bird I felt a band on its leg, needless to say I was exstatic! As if that wasn't enough excitement just as I was getting back to the blinds another big flock of about forty or fifty were heading our way. They worked us real hard but ended up landing right on top of us, that was enough to finish both our days! That was the most fun I've had in a long time.....and I may just have to give it another go this weekend!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a couple awesome hunts there. You shure found out what fields they wanted and got on the X very nice.Congrats to both of you on the bands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great story. Sounds like you had a good hunt. Get us some pic's! Sounds like your brother in law is a pretty good shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts