Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw so many deer this year reminded me of the good old days. This was my sons second year bow hunting, last year we didn't even get a chance to draw back on anything....not so this year. I put him in on his own application and drew out for a new unit we didn't know much about, fortunately some great friends took us up and showed us around. My son is 15 and since I put him in on his own application we drew different areas. I have had plenty of success so I dedicated this past weekend to driving him around his unit and trying to help him get his first buck. Opening day was awesome since we didn't know the area too well we mainly stuck to road hunting well I wish I could say it paid off by bagging a buck, it did pay off by providing plenty of shots, he took 7 shots opening day all from 40 yards and in, he shot over, under to the right and left and luckily we didn't lose any arrows.

Second day we drove around in the morning and he got 3 more shots but same story we did lose an arrow on these shots, still no meat in the pot, that afternoon we did some target practice and figured out a few things he was doing wrong, at this point he was getting frustrated, that night 2 more shots and still no meat in the pot, now I am getting frustrated a little but we are having so much fun riding around together and chasing deer I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, second day ends and 12 shots later nothing.

Monday most other hunters left, we spoke to many awesome hunters who offered help and areas we could check out, well even with people gone the bucks were harder to find but we managed and he got 3 more shots and no meat in the pot, I think he was ready to give up as we planned to go home the next days morning, we skipped dinner and went to bed at 9:00 hoping a good nights rest would help.

Tuesday morning was cold we began driving the area and tried to chase after a buck we watched in some sage brush but could never get close enough, we began our last drive around the area he had the most shots, in that area there is two roads, an upper road which leads to a lower road, in between these roads are stands of quakies as we drove along the top road we saw nothing, by the time we reached the bottom road and looked up towards the top road we spotted a two point that had come out of the tree's and was feeding across the open field, we spun around and drove back up to the top road, my son told me to drive past the deer and he would jump off the wheeler and walk back down the dirt road, I drove further down and waited....waited...and.....a whistle.

As I drove back to his location I saw the biggest grin I had ever seen in my life FINALLY after 16...yep 16... let me repeat that 16 shots he hit one, we located blood and tracked it 80 yards to where we found the two point 10 yards off the bottom road, whew at least we didn't have a long drag. It was a memorable 5 days I got to spend with my boy and he had success getting his first deer, a great hunt with many chances and finally a payoff, it is so awesome to see young hunters have success!!

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I remember being a young archer, I could stack arrows all day long in a paper plate out to 50 yards, but nerves and buck fever would kick in when it came to trying to seal the deal and I would miss a 30 yard broadside shot. Way to stick with it and congrats on the memories and success. Now that he has harvested his first, future opportunities willl be much easier and less nerve racking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.