Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,

as the title says, who is a great taxidermist in the SLC area? I will have some stuff to ship home from Africa in about 9 months or so and am looking for a trusted source, preferably someone that has experience with the African plains game, such as Kudu,

thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Merlin Anderson Taxidermy in Sandy 801-571-0039. He does a lot of African game. Just walking through his shop, it seemed to be about half his work. I have been very pleased with the kudu, gemsbok, etc. mounts that he has done for me. He also did a great half body mountain goat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Team,

as the title says, who is a great taxidermist in the SLC area? I will have some stuff to ship home from Africa in about 9 months or so and am looking for a trusted source, preferably someone that has experience with the African plains game, such as Kudu,

thanks
High Uintahs Taxidermy is awesome with african game if you went to the hunting expo last year he won I think best of show but dont quote me on that if you were there it was the full size lion taking down a zebra mount they had there but he does tons of african game

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Packout is excellent, but I haven't seen his work on african game. Yuri Rulin in SLC is incredible, frankly. He isn't in the show circuit anymore but has more than his share of world titles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My brother runs Big Stuff Taxidermy in Erda. His name is Dirk. He specializes in African game and is as good as they come.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I like Chad Draper at Blue Ridge Taxidermy out in Bluffdale. Lots of good ones out there with unfortunately even more bad/shady. I know most listed already are good options so I would stop by some shops and check out the work and go from there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Merlin Anderson Taxidermy in Sandy 801-571-0039. He does a lot of African game. Just walking through his shop, it seemed to be about half his work. I have been very pleased with the kudu, gemsbok, etc. mounts that he has done for me. He also did a great half body mountain goat.
+1 with Merlin. He has been great with the mounts my family has had done.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Packout is excellent, but I haven't seen his work on african game. Yuri Rulin in SLC is incredible, frankly. He isn't in the show circuit anymore but has more than his share of world titles.
I've never used him, but I've heard Yuri is the best of the best when it comes to African game. Take that with a grain of salt, as it is just what I've "heard." But thought I'd pass it on anyway.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
We've been using Yuri for 20 years with out a single complaint. Every time I've been in his shop, he's had at least some african or asian game being worked on. More often than not, 75% of his work is African. I once was there when he was working on a fullbody white rhino (real hide!), incredible!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Along with phone calls, try to go to their workshops/showrooms. Nothing is better than getting up close and personal with someone's work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
+1 with Merlin. He has been great with the mounts my family has had done.
+2. I have used Tyler, Merlin's son for my last 6 mounts and have been very pleased with his work. Every time I go in their shop I am amazed by there work. Last time I was in Merlin was working on an alligator.

Had my mountain goat done by Curtis and Joe of Joe's Sport. It's my wife's favorite and considering she doesn't want them in the house that's saying something.

(801) 973-7869

·
Registered
138 Posts
+1 for Monarch Mountain Taxidermy in South Jordan, Curtis does a great job. My work has been limited to deer and elk....no exotic African critters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts