Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Hey jeff thanks for inviting me over, sorry I couldn't make it, I must have overlooked the invite... -O,- . ;-)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If it don't have okra, it ain't gumbo!!

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Reactions: CPAjeff

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I only put okra in seafood gumbo. All my others are okra-less

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You know what's really good?? Gumbo with duck, shrimp and andouille sausage....... and okra!!

Yes, you should be able to find frozen okra fairly easily. Fresh is tougher. We grew our own a couple of years ago, weird looking plant.

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts
I only put okra in seafood gumbo. All my others are okra-less
Yep, okra is not an essential ingredient in gumbo. I like okra in my gumbo if I can find it. Its not always on the grocer's shelves here in Hooterville where both CPAjeff and I shop.

There's really no right or wrong way to make gumbo as along as it has roux in it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Some gumbos use something called filet gumbo, which is dried and powdered sassafras leaf. It is not related to okra but does have have a thickening effect, kind of like okra.

On the question of what Okra tastes like, it is a fairly mild flavored veg. It has a unique texture that some describe as being a thickener and others just call slime.

Aside from gumbo, here are two good ways to make okra. One is diced, rolled in cornmeal, and fried. Another is to take one okra pod and chop it up and cook it in your spaghetti sauce. Another is pickled. I guess that makes three, not two doesn't it?

I was once served a dish by some folks in Florida that was a kind of meat loaf with chopped up pieces of tomato and okra in it. The dish was very good.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Some gumbos use something called filet gumbo, which is dried and powdered sassafras leaf. It is not related to okra but does have have a thickening effect, kind of like okra.

On the question of what Okra tastes like, it is a fairly mild flavored veg. It has a unique texture that some describe as being a thickener and others just call slime.

Aside from gumbo, here are two good ways to make okra. One is diced, rolled in cornmeal, and fried. Another is to take one okra pod and chop it up and cook it in your spaghetti sauce. Another is pickled. I guess that makes three, not two doesn't it?

I was once served a dish by some folks in Florida that was a kind of meat loaf with chopped up pieces of tomato and okra in it. The dish was very good.
One of my most cherished possessions is my 2/3 empty baby food jar of homemade filet from my grandmother. It's about 30 years old now and I use it once a year in her memory. She lived to the ripe old age of 99 before passing on and it's one of the last things I have made by her. After 30 years it is still good! There are places in LA you can buy it and it's still made the old fashioned way.

Now for you okra lovers who put okra in your gumbo. You need to de-slime it first before putting it in your gumbo. That takes a while, probably over 1/2 hour. I do it while I am letting the water slow boil after putting the roux and veggies in. To de-slime your okra, get a large cast iron skillet, pour some oil to cover the bottom and put in your okra on medium heat. As the okra starts to slowly cook it will start "sliming". Keep stirring it gently until the slime has pretty much cooked off, this will take a good half hour or even more. If you do that prior to adding it to the gumbo your gumbo won't be slimey.

Reactions: CPAjeff and wyogoob

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Is file" and filet the same thing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts