1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
This is going to be an interesting one for sure. Over hear in Idaho, the grizzlies have been in Island Park for 20+years. But now they are moving down off the caldera. Last summer, there was one enjoying an apple orchard just 2 miles west of Ashton, along the Henry's Fork. To me, the interesting thing with the ESA is when population targets are set, USFWS really should follow their own plans to delist when those targets are achieved. For example, with the wolves, the target was 50 breeding pairs, but they waited until there were 150 breeding pairs, and then delisting took political means vs. USFWS doing what they committed to. With the Grizzlies, the numbers bear out (see what I did there?) that they should be delisted. With the core of the population in YNP and GTNP, there is no reason that Idaho, Montana and Wyoming can't have grizzly hunting outside the parks, yet still retain a core population under the protection of the parks. Humans have always been the only predator of the grizzly bear. It isn't inappropriate to allow man's role to return to the ecosystem as well.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
We saw the amount of panty twisting over wolf hunting, I imagine it will be every bit as bad if hunting reaches realization.

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll go to the meeting in GR and we will see how that goes.
Dangit, I forgot about it. I'd been on the road for a long stretch but came home in time that day to run over to GR and attend the open house.

·
1,666 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Great news - kidneys are worth $262,000 or so.

https://www.seeker.com/how-much-are-your-body-parts-worth-1792475763.html

Think of all the hunts a person could go on with $262,000!!! Besides, who really needs two kidneys?!?! ;-)

I could get my Alaskan combo hunt (sheep, caribou, & moose), Book Cliffs Roadless Early Rifle Elk tag, and High Unita Mountain goat tag and still have $175,000+ left over.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Great news - kidneys are worth $262,000 or so.

https://www.seeker.com/how-much-are-your-body-parts-worth-1792475763.html

Think of all the hunts a person could go on with $262,000!!! Besides, who really needs two kidneys?!?! ;-)

I could get my Alaskan combo hunt (sheep, caribou, & moose), Book Cliffs Roadless Early Rifle Elk tag, and High Unita Mountain goat tag and still have $175,000+ left over.
And if I could talk my wife into selling as well, we could both recoup in our new cabin in a location yet to be determined.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
One of the activist that wanted to stop the hunt by getting tags was #8. It is too bad that he is a resident of Wyoming and only had to pay $600 instead of $6000 for it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
One of the activist that wanted to stop the hunt by getting tags was #8. It is too bad that he is a resident of Wyoming and only had to pay $600 instead of $6000 for it.
So do you have an issue with the activist applying for the tag? I always here the mantra of tree huggers don't pay their share. here is one that is willing. Vic

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
I actually like it in that the Wyoming G&F got a $600 contribution from a person that is very unlikely going to harvest a bear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts