Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO YOU THINK IT IS ETHICAL TO GROUND SLEW GAME BIRDS?

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I once got in big trouble for ground slewing a girl in highschool. I still get an itch every now and again. :p

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MABY I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT USES THAT TERM BUT IT MEANS YOU SHOOT A THE BIRD (CHUKAR, DUCK, PHEASANT, ETC.) BEFORE IT FLYS.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I'm ok with it. Sometimes it's for sport and sometimes I just want a smoked grouse, and in that case, why would I give it a chance to get away? :shock: :wink:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I CAN UNDERSTAND THERE IS A CHANCE IT CAN GET AWAY AND I WON'T DENY SHOOTING BIRDS ON THE GROUND. I THINK IT IS FUNNER TO SHOOT EM' IN THE AIR THOUGH JUST SEEMS BETTER. BUT IF I SEE AN OLD ROOSTER RUNNING DOWN A DITCH BANK HE'S NOT GETTING AWAY.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
It was. :wink: My memory sucks, but the pictures I took will last forever. They make a hell of a screen saver.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Wdycle, I agree..... let em fly and shoot em out of the air. Have I groundpounded birds?? Heck yeah I have.... sometimes you just about have to pick a grouse up and punt it to get it in the air.... :lol:.... but I've shot my share on the ground. Ducks... well, I've pounded my fair share on the water. When I started out, I thought thats how you were supposed to hunt because I didn't know any better... I can't use the I was a kid excuse either. I was 23 years old when I started hunting, but I didn't have decoys, had no adult to show me the right way or anything. I generally would prefer to shoot a bird out of the air, but wouldn't think less of somebody that did it another way. 8)

·
Registered
385 Posts
for quail the ground is a heck of a lot easier and perfectly acceptable, but for birds such as pheasant, honkers, and such let em fly. otherwise where's the fun? isn't that why we all hunt, because of the challenge and enjoyment of it?

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I have seen grouse in timber so thick you couldnt get your gun up to get a shot. If they fly I will take them in the air. But if they chose to stay on the ground then I will shoot them there. I want to eat them and there is not difference in the taste based upon how you shot them. I am out there to get some for dinner, not try to make them fly. Besides I am not as good with shotgun as most. I am more apt to wound them on the fly. Which is more ethical, to wound them or a clean kill??

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm a walking contradiction on this. Waterfowl, Phez, and Chuckars all need to be in the air before I shoot. Generaly speaking where I hunt them it's plenty open so I can get a good shot at them as they fly. Grouse are "take 'em where they sit" for me. I have tried to be sporting and flush them before I shoot but those suckers are fast and fly throught the thickest stuff they can find. If they are in the open I'll flush and shoot but if I'm in thick timber I'll ground pound them or pop them in the trees.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was taught that shooting a bird on the water or ground was the same as hitting a woman. How sporting is it to take a bird like that???? The phrase "sitting duck" means easy to take. No I don't think it is any different for kids or first time hunters. Running birds like phez and chukar, IMO should also only be shot when flushed. You could get your limit of chukar with one shot plus a few extras. Do the ethical and sporting thing,makem fly!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts