Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body been seeing any forest chickens? I have been doing a fair amount of hiking lately. My dog had a solid point on a ruffie the other day. But it was a single. Other than that I haven't seen many and usually i have already jumped a few dozen by this time in the summer. Wondering if all the rain screwed the hatch up for ruffs and blues?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dog had a point on a single blue in the uintas while hiking over the weekend. Thats the only one I've seen so far this year.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Where I have been hiking- the under growth is so thick this year there could be a bull moose standing in it and I wouldn't see it. Personally I think it will be a good year.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
In Northern Utah I'm seeing more Blues this year, but less ruffed grouse than last year. I'm not seeing tons of birds, but I have not been to some of the best spots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have mainly only been hiking AF canyon and little cottonwood canyon. I don't typically see a lot of grouse there anyway but It seems berries are plentiful and everything is lush which is a refreshing change to years past. I am heading out this week to do some reconnaissance on an area I actually hunt that is not next to the city and typically holds much higher numbers. I will let you know what I see.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I saw about 10 ruffed while elk scouting last weekend. Nearly scared the crap out of me when one flushed 2 feet from where I was standing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts