Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I both drew general season buck tags for the Wasatch unit. I'm thinking of scouting the area around the Grove Creek trail in Pleasant Grove but I'm wondering if anybody knows if it gets heavy pressure during the hunt. This is our 2nd year hunting deer and last season we scouted an area and found several bucks but it was swarming with other hunters. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
You and a few hundred of your closest friends will be there first light opening morning. I hunted this area 2 years ago and will never, ever, hunt there on the opening again. That entire mountain olus Timp swarmed with people. I counted between 50-100 vehicles, not inluding utv's and motorcycles opening morning. I was very discouraged at the amount of.people that were there. Your only hope is bad weather to keep people off that road. It's a beast when it's wet. Good Luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They give out a lot of tags on that unit. The timp area and sheep creek will have ALOT of people. You will run into people every where you go, so the best bet is to scout it, find where some bucks hang out, be there at first light and hope to get lucky. Good luck

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Any unit close to the Wasatch Front will have lots of people on it. Best thing to do is to hike in 3-5 miles if you want to put some distance between you and the hordes. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

Blackie is right though - find some deer, set up on them well before daylight, and hope others don't blow your chances. If you know the escape routes the deer use, you could use this to your advantage and let other hunters push the deer to you.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Use those swarms of people to your advantage get up early in the morning get a couple of miles in and on a high mt and watch the deer funnel to you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was afraid of it being crazy up there but I put in for so I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Might want to consider a cold camp and get there the day before.How bad do you want it?
That has been the plan from the start. I'm hoping to find a place to do a cold camp since we will be on foot without the use of ATVs.

Thanks for all of the info!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just go up sheep creek not to many people that way. :) I almost pooped my pants at the amount of people up there during the opening weekend of the rifle hunt. I was helping my bro out, luckily I knew a spot down the road that you actually had to hike into so we didn't really see anyone else. My brother and his friend ended up tagging out. It is a huge unit. If you get off the road you should be able to find some good stuff that's not crowded. or, like me opt out of the opener and go later in the week. Good luck!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
That entire area (Grove Creek, Battle Creek and Dry Canyon trails) leading up to Baldy and around timp does get quite a bit of pressure. However, a lot depends on the weather. If you get snow or a lot of rain the access road that comes across the front of Timp from Timpooneke campground gets nasty and will deter a lot of hunters. We have always had success getting up above the road on the face of Timp in the rocks and patches of pines. Even with the pressure if your up high well before daylight, it will play to your advantage. The south side of Timp above where the Dry Canyon trail winds up to the top of Baldy has been a good spot for us as well. The big boys are in the rocks and if your able to go up after them you have a shot at a nice buck. Sagebrush flat and Mahagony ridge aren't bad either. Again, good weather will bring a lot of pressure but you can use that to your advantage if your in the right spots. I have spent many years hunting up there, PM me if you would like a few more spots to try out, more than happy to help you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Get up above the High Trail in the ledges above Dry Canyon. Shoot a monster, give it a kick and go down to pick it up.... ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts