Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was afraid this would happen. It's funny though. I've been selling off my excess powders and ammo for the last month at msrp plus a few bucks to cover tax. Most of it has gone quick. Probably not wise but I don't need it and others seem to really appreciate it. In a few years I'll buy more of what I need. Until then I just have to hope the nuts on the far left and the far right don't screw things up too bad.

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
It has come down to that you better have enough ammo to keep you shooting for at least 2 years if not 4. Not to mention enough components to load up what you shoot if you are a reloader.

Next September hunters are going to be hurting for ammo for the deer and elk hunts.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was at a pheasant club Saturday and the pro shop was selling 100 round Winchester and Federal #8 four box packs for.............
$150.
No, I am not joking.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was at a pheasant club Saturday and the pro shop was selling 100 round Winchester and Federal #8 four box packs for.............
$150.
No, I am not joking.
My local Ace was selling 9mm for $45 a box. Basic FMJ stuff.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to find a case of 20GA Remington STS #8 or #7.5. Dove hunt is only 7 months away.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It has come down to that you better have enough ammo to keep you shooting for at least 2 years if not 4. Not to mention enough components to load up what you shoot if you are a reloader.

Next September hunters are going to be hurting for ammo for the deer and elk hunts.
ok, you just convinced me and i purchased another 100 rounds of my hunting ammo. the price went up $10/100 but it's worth it.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
You take things for granted for sure. Even in the previous runs on ammo it was really 223 and 22lr that you had a hard time finding. Powders and reloading supplies can get sparse when folks freak out. I’ve never NOT been able to find just regular hunting ammo, and shotguns shells are usually pretty easy to come by as well.

Thanks a lot, 2020! I did an inventory of all my ammo a couple weeks ago. If we’re strictly talking hunting out in the field, I’ve got enough ammo to last a LONG time. If I use a gun until I run out of that ammo, then switch to another, I don’t expect I’ll run out in my lifetime of hunting. And that accounts for some missed shots along the way.

But like you, I like to shoot in the off-season, and that is where I’d burn through my supply pretty quickly if I was not careful there.

I am not in panic mode, I’ll be fine. But I will not take things for granted in the future in this realm, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did an inventory of all my ammo a couple weeks ago.
I've been looking over our stuff too... I see quite a few boxes of ammo we'll likely never shoot, good stuff someone may want (ie: 30-06 Federal Premium 165gr Partitions). Bought several boxes of that for my wifes Mt Goat hunt... she used 2 shells. LOL

Perhaps if things are still bleak going into next year we can start up a "Ammo Swap / Sale" thread... or even forum. People can offer up extra ammo they wont need.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
There are always those who wait until the last moment to head down to the ammo store to pick up a couple of boxes of their preferred ammo a week or two before the hunts begin. It was just a few years ago on the forum here that there were hunters asking if anyone had seen any XYZ ammo on the shelves that they could go buy. They looked at all the catalog stores and there was nothing left with a unknown time frame of when the next shipment was going to come in.

I have always figured that if you need some you better purchase it when you see it and not hope to find it when you actually are going to need it.

I'm looking at going back to Africa in 2022, the other day I looked at my supply of ammo that I plan to use and found that I need a few more to add up to what I'll take over. And while I have enough components to build up what I am going to need I'll pick up some bullets if I see them on the shelves when I head to the stores.

It's as they say, it doesn't eat any hay sitting on your shelf at home. You don't need to hoard cases of the stuff but it is nice to have a supply on hand.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I've been looking over our stuff too... I see quite a few boxes of ammo we'll likely never shoot, good stuff someone may want (ie: 30-06 Federal Premium 165gr Partitions). Bought several boxes of that for my wifes Mt Goat hunt... she used 2 shells. LOL

Perhaps if things are still bleak going into next year we can start up a "Ammo Swap / Sale" thread... or even forum. People can offer up extra ammo they wont need.

-DallanC
I found several boxes of 30-30 ammo that I forgot I even had. I sold the 30-30 I had years ago, so don't even have a gun to shoot it, and don't plan to even look for that gun either.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

-DallanC
The swap/sale thread is a great idea.
I really like the 165 grain partitions. That is one I am almost out of.
My Dad gave me his model 94 30 30 a couple of months ago and I only have a couple of boxes of that. But, I have a ton of 243 and a lot of 30.06 150 grain.

I haven't really shot much the last 25 years. I mostly do archery and muzzle.
But it's nice to have some extra ammo on hand for each gun.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I've watched many people buying components that they admitted they didn't even need. They plan to get as much as possible in the hopes of selling it a premium or trading it for something they actually need.

This mentality and behavior is the reason the market struggles to recover. Irritates me to no end.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cabelas website has 20GA Rem Gun Club #8's in stock right now. I just ordered a case. Limit is 5 cases per order. I just have it shipped to store and pick it up later, as its free shipping.

Needed a bunch of 20GA target loads for my wife to practice with for her new 20Ga semi-auto over the summer.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've been looking over our stuff too... I see quite a few boxes of ammo we'll likely never shoot, good stuff someone may want (ie: 30-06 Federal Premium 165gr Partitions).

-DallanC
Talk to me first about those 30-06 Partitions. :mrgreen: That's my go-to load.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've watched many people buying components that they admitted they didn't even need. They plan to get as much as possible in the hopes of selling it a premium or trading it for something they actually need.

This mentality and behavior is the reason the market struggles to recover. Irritates me to no end.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Go look at gun broker. This is happening there. And the utah gun classifieds. People are asking an insane amount of money for .22 rounds. I am in need of nothing as it stands, but I like to go shoot quite a bit so it could change eventually.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts