Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Senate voted 64-34 to advance the bill, so 14 Republicans voted in favor. Mitt Romney voted for, Mike Lee voted against.

The bill includes millions of dollars for mental health, school safety, crisis intervention programs and incentives for states to include juvenile records in the National Instant Criminal Background Check system. It also makes significant changes to the process when someone ages 18 to 21 goes to buy a firearm and closes the so-called boyfriend loophole.

Doesn't do everything I'd like, but sounds okay to me. Thoughts?

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Administrator
8,229 Posts
Just lock it now. There's no point to it.

-DallanC
Man I wonder some days.

Hopefully the faith that civility can govern will sustain the topic.

Time will tell 🍿

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
In my first reading, I like it. It checks most of the boxes I advocated a few threads back when things weren't so crazy train here and seems balanced with features advocated by both "D"s and "R"s.

Out and IBT🔐

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How does any part of this have anything to do with hunting or wildlife at all? I get off topic discussion when it has at least some connection to the main topics of this board, or when it's something neutral without deep political and moral implications. Why is 100% political allowed? Other political topics are shut down immediately, and other posters are also shut down immediately. Why does one guy get to try to use a wildlife forum to propagandize?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think gun safety legislation is a legitimate topic for discussion for gun owners, hunters, etc. The last thread went off the rails because people violated forum rules, went way off topic, called people names, etc. I agree that civility is important and promotes the exchange of ideas. Careful review of the previous thread will show that the lock had nothing to do with anything I said.

The vote on this bill was interesting in that our Senators voted opposite. I wonder if forum members will be more or less inclined to vote for either as a result.

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts
How does any part of this have anything to do with hunting or wildlife at all? I get off topic discussion when it has at least some connection to the main topics of this board, or when it's something neutral without deep political and moral implications. Why is 100% political allowed? Other political topics are shut down immediately, and other posters are also shut down immediately. Why does one guy get to try to use a wildlife forum to propagandize?
Good question. Gun control issues are important to gun owners and most UWN members. The UWN has a long history of gun control discussions, a lot of which turned sour from members' "passionate responses but much of it is a healthy exchange of different viewpoints. I hope the trend will continue.

As always, its not so much WHAT you talk about, but HOW you talk about it. Please respect different points of view, and good grief, don't call hypocritical moderators "hypocrites". Thanks

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
The supreme court just voted to expand gun rights.

The decision to invalidate New York’s law throws into question the legality of similar restrictions in more than a half dozen other states that give licensing officials wide discretion over concealed carry permitting.

The ruling comes after recent mass shootings reignited a wrenching debate over how to balance a constitutional right to bear arms with Americans’ concerns for personal safety in a country with more than 390 million privately owned firearms.

The opinion builds on the court’s last major gun rights decision more than a decade ago. In a 2008 case called District of Columbia v. Heller, a 5-4 court ruled that the Constitution protects an individual’s right to keep a gun in the home for self-defense. The court in Heller noted that the Second Amendment is “not unlimited,” but left unanswered what restrictions are constitutionally allowed
-DallanC

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SCOTUS just struck down New York's CC law. Nice.

I have noticed that there seems to be some inconsistency in which posts are edited, deleted or allowed. I don't think saying things like, "You're communists and fascists, and I'm ashamed to share my home with you." promote the civil sharing of ideas.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nah, I'm sure when the commies started being commies and everyone started calling them commies, they were like "Oh man, that's hurtful, why would you say that, let's have a nosh and talk it out." I'll look it up and make sure....oh...wait...it uh....it was not like that, no.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts