Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Places of business

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this video today and wanted to know your opinions on the subject. Although i am finished with school (i graduated from the U) I am all for guns on campus. Some in the video are not some are. Being a CWP holder myself i have carried on the U campus and know other who do as well. Whats your opinon..

I know some of the poll options are obvious and in certain situation you can carry in them which is why you can select 3 options.... I know each situation is different but i also have encountered in some way shape or form "NO GUNS" at each option.

Video Link about University of Utah....

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... eapons.ksl

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you have a cwp then anywhere if not then they shouldnt be allowed into sporting events or gov. buildings. for the rest, let them keep them. most of those other ones would be infringing on the second amendment (which will be blown to smithereens if Hillary gets in office).

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I hear ya, Al. None of the above.

If you've been entrusted with a Concealed Weapons Permit by the government, then they would have no reason to worry about you. Having responsible, armed citizens throughout the population is much safer than having "No Guns" at all.

The people that would cause problems involving firearms tend to disregard those signs, anyway. The best protection is to have CWP holders ready to take defensive measures...Or a slew of police officers everywhere. Like that'll happen.

I see nothing wrong with a responsible gun owner packing in a church, at an elementary school, at a cub scout meeting, or anywhere else they may wander. That right shall not be infringed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, i added everywhere

I agree you should be able to carry anywhere. I went to the arts festival last year and there were metal detectors and signs stating no weapons. I know some of these places listed don't allow you to carry but ALL of the others i has witnessed a blockage of my right to carry.

And YES i am talking if you have a CWP

·
Registered
642 Posts
If psychos and criminals have no limits on where they can carry guns - and the police feel that they need to have the right to carry guns in all of the above places - then we, as authorized CCP holders should be able to carry guns everywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate...

Some of the options above include churches and businesses, which are usually private property. Even schools are sometimes private property.

Shouldn't a private property owner's right to make decisions about who does what on his or her property supersede a gun owner's right to carry a weapon there?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Agreed Petersen.

Private property owners should have the right to set rules for their own property, and they should be clear and well communicated. Aside from that, I don't know as there are many places where it makes sense to me to ban lawful carry.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Petersen said:

Some of the options above include churches and businesses, which are usually private property. Even schools are sometimes private property.

Shouldn't a private property owner's right to make decisions about who does what on his or her property supersede a gun owner's right to carry a weapon there?
I have no problem with that, unless the private property is a place that invites the public in. If anyone can come in then I should have the right to carry incase the bad guys show up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Petersen, the only schools that are 'private' are PRIVATE schools.

All other schools are 'entities' of the state and cannot dictate or flout state law in regards to firearms.

PERIOD.

I am with LOAH on this one. "Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms. THAT RIGHT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Petersen said:

Which is why im the only one who voted for them. So far at least....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Because of my job I end up hanging around too many government buildings, mostly courthouses. I'm glad they don't let people carry inside, and personally I think there should be a buffer outside as well. Nothing like a contentious divorce proceeding to make you shuffel a little quicker toword the door.

I also don't agree with allowing guns on campuses. It's a closer call, for me, but I once chose to not continue an academic argument (that was pretty heated) because I knew my opponent was carrying. That's kind of b.s. I regret it now and wish I hadn't backed down, but I'm a gun guy, and if I'm intimidated, what about all those who've never seen a real gun?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Every piece of actual, factual evidence I have ever seen on the subject of concealed carry indicates that the very presence (not even the use) of concealed weapons decreases the number of violent crimes. The debate at the U of U has been astonishing for me to watch, because the academic community prides itself on making decisions that are based on facts/research. Banning concealed carry has been statistically proven to increase violent crime percentages. We can only speculate about what might have happened at Virginia Tech if concealed weapons were allowed on campus, but one thing is certain: Students and faculty alike were DEFENSELESS against the armed lawbreaker and paid with their lives. IMO public venues, with the exception of government facilities such as law enforcment and court buildings, should allow concealed carry. It reduces crime for all, not just CWP holders.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes, a private property owner does have that right. However to make it stick they must register with the state as a no gun property and then post visible signs at entrances to the property, or in the case of buildings, at the doors. Once this is done it is illegal to carry there even with a Permit.

Many churches, have registered as no gun areas with the state, but they don't post the signs, so I don't know if they can make it stick. Its a technical question I can't answer. You may get the judge to agree with you, but it ain't worth the fight. I just don't carry at church.

Many businesses and factories have "no gun" rules written into their employee manuals. They can make this stick for employees, but if a non employee carries there it won't be illegal. They may fire an employee for packing, but what are they going to do with the visitor? I guess they can ask him to leave if they become aware of it. A gun properly concealed most likely won't be discovered any way.

Some areas are no carry because of Federal rules. Post offices and federal buildings are on that list.

I have no problem with CCW holders carrying anywhere. You must realize that to get a permit you must first undergo an FBI screening. The people who hold the permits are good people, law-abiding citizens, and they are not the perpetrators of violent crimes or any other crime.

Those who have permits must be willing to NOT carry anywhere it is illegal. To do otherwise jeopardizes their permit. I am sure they do observe these rules, because they have already demonstrated their character.

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Personally I think that many individuals who aren't accustomed to firearms or who aren't educated about them or those who carry and use firearms, somehow equate guns and those who use them with criminal activity. Its as if guns are inherently evil and the people who carry them are going to hurt people. Its an opinion based out of either pure ignorance, or traumatic past experience. I would guess ignorance is the biggest reason. I also think that there should be some form of firearm education during school. Not necessarily educating kids how to use them, but to not be afraid of guns themselves, and to leave them alone outside of adult supervision. That's a fine line to walk though.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It is probably largely a media-related issue. Gun-related media coverage is typically nearly 100% crime oriented. People are exposed to shootings in schools, post offices, Trolley Square, and other venues. Robberies, murders, and other crimes are always reported often with a graphic of a gun displayed. Accidental shootings are talked about too. What you generally don't see is a story showing factual evidence that responsibly owned and carried firearms are proven by facts and data to reduce violent crime and deter confrontational criminal activity. Outside of the NRA's publications, you also rarely come across stories about armed victims saving their own bacon.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Criminals carry everwhere, why should law abiding citizens be restricted from doing the same?

Fishrmn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts