Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts here?

Because the camera moves just before he shoots, it’s really hard to say for sure but watching the mountain lion, he seems more curious than threatening.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Very cool video. I would have shot way before this guy did. I think he tried everything he could to get the cat to leave except maybe a warning shot. Justified shooting. Change his shorts and move on with life.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
That reminds me, I saw a pretty big lion yesterday out hunting. He was slinking his way down a ridge right at the tree line. I saw movement and couldnt figure out what it was until he stepped into a small clearing. Pretty cool critters.

I agree this one looks more curious than threatening... but I personally wouldn't let one get this close, not that people always have that option. I would however, fire a warning shot.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
I wonder what state it happened in. California odds are he'll get raked over the coals. Other states he will still get raked over the coals but may just have to pay a fine.

With a semi automatic pistol a warning shot right in front of this young cat and he would never see it again.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
Justified, but I'd be inclined to give a cat a warning bang, time permitting, unlike for humans where that would get you charged if you don't end up putting them down.

·
Administrator
21,521 Posts
Hard to say, the camera was off the cat at the end of the video. IMO up until that point the lion's posture was curious, not threatening.

Sometimes a cat will attack someone using an iPhone. They'll leave ya alone if ya have an Android. :)

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I see nothing wrong with the actions in the video, personally. Warning shots are great, in theory. If I feel my life is in danger by any numbered-legged critter, I’m not wasting time or bullets on a warning shot. And I’m not going to wait around to figure out of that cat is curious just to be curious, or curious how I would taste. Curiosity killed the cat, after all. Then again, I never carry a handgun around anymore. So my experience here would play out differently.

I do concur he’s an idiot for posting it online, if he’s the one who did so.

·
Administrator
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see nothing wrong with the actions in the video, personally. Warning shots are great, in theory. If I feel my life is in danger by any numbered-legged critter, I’m not wasting time or bullets on a warning shot. And I’m not going to wait around to figure out of that cat is curious just to be curious, or curious how I would taste. Curiosity killed the cat, after all. Then again, I never carry a handgun around anymore. So my experience here would play out differently.

I do concur he’s an idiot for posting it online, if he’s the one who did so.
You can’t weigh in on this stuff Vanilla.

The cat wouldn’t have seen you with your nice Kuiu camo on so you would never be in danger 😉

·
Registered
288 Posts
Shoot it and submit the ears and lower jaw to collect your $50 from the Predator Control Fund…..oops sorry, dreaming again.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
That was super weird! After watching it 5 times, I’m with 6x6 on this one. Looks like a young and curious kitten. Ears up, standing straight, blinking? Maybe recently mom kicked it out and it wasn’t sure how to act yet?

The shooter seemed overly dramatic with his go pro dialed in perfectly on his piece except when the moment of truth happened. Then he mentioned twice that he shot him in the face.

My guess is that he saw the young kitten coming long before looking curious about him and decided to make some YouTube fame out of the very rare opportunity.

Easy for me to say this as I wasn’t there but it looked like that to me. I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
75 Posts
I hunt Cougars every year. Do not trust a Mountain Lion no matter what, they will change in one second to swiping with its paw from jumping 20 feet on you. They are so buff it’s scary and those pouncing skills are when you don’t expect it. I stalked a Cougar last winter that lead me into a dense area of forest then circled back and once I realized what he did I had to back off quick and pull my pistol. Curious turns to deadly in a split second. Justified shooting even when he first saw her, throw a rock or warning shot doesn’t mean it’s not hungry and gonna do what it takes to drag you up a tree before you get to your truck.
Snow Ice cap Freezing Slope Geological phenomenon
Couldn’t find the video for this stalk but this cat was smart and knew how to flip the script of predator and prey.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Where’s Kevin D when you need him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Goof
3,648 Posts
Wasn't there, can't say for sure. But when I watched it originally (which seemed less zoomed in imo), my initial feeling was that he was wanting to shoot the cat. Maybe he did it for the gram, regardless Jeff nailed it. He didn't throw a rock, smack a stick, fire a warning shot (semi auto handgun = quick follow up if needed).

The cat also was dead right where the video first showed him. If that cat "pounced" he would have been a lot closer. They talk about the 21ft rule with a knife - a cat is a lot faster. Maybe that further justifies it? But it seems clear the cat simply stood there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts