Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I think the dude is a coward and shot a curious cat that wasn't even acting threatening. He did it for the hell of it or for fame dont know which. Ive had 3 encounters with cougars.
1. I woke up from a nap in a deer bed on Nebo and saw a cougar sniffing my back pack that was laying 10 feet away. Soon as we made eye contact it ran away.
2. I like to hike without a light alot of the time especially if there is a full moon. My eyes adjust and I can see just fine. One night a lion popped out on the trail in front of me. I turned on my light. He was less then 20 feet away. I raised my hands and charged it yelling and it ran away.
3. Found one eating a deer near a road. Pulled up to it with my truck and watched it eat for 15 minutes less than 15 feet away. Granted I new I was safe inside my truck.
Calling coyotes I have had several occasions calling in bobcats. Imho this lion had the same look the bobcats have when they come to a call and figure out you aren't the prey they thought you were. Bobcats will often just sit looking at you. I even had one sniff my boot. Cool experiences but nothing justifying shooting. Imho most of the moose I encounter pose a real threat or threat more dangerous then that lion. I also believe most who commented on this thread would be appalled if the same situation was played out with a moose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,853 Posts
I think the dude is a coward and shot a curious cat that wasn't even acting threatening. He did it for the hell of it or for fame dont know which. Ive had 3 encounters with cougars.
1. I woke up from a nap in a deer bed on Nebo and saw a cougar sniffing my back pack that was laying 10 feet away. Soon as we made eye contact it ran away.
2. I like to hike without a light alot of the time especially if there is a full moon. My eyes adjust and I can see just fine. One night a lion popped out on the trail in front of me. I turned on my light. He was less then 20 feet away. I raised my hands and charged it yelling and it ran away.
3. Found one eating a deer near a road. Pulled up to it with my truck and watched it eat for 15 minutes less than 15 feet away. Granted I new I was safe inside my truck.
Calling coyotes I have had several occasions calling in bobcats. Imho this lion had the same look the bobcats have when they come to a call and figure out you aren't the prey they thought you were. Bobcats will often just sit looking at you. I even had one sniff my boot. Cool experiences but nothing justifying shooting. Imho most of the moose I encounter pose a real threat or threat more dangerous then that lion. I also believe most who commented on this thread would be appalled if the same situation was played out with a moose.

Actually the same situation was played out with a moose and a SLC snowmobiler dude in Wyoming. The story was a thread on the UWN a number of years back. More of our members sympathized with the snowmobile guy than the moose.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Actually the same situation was played out with a moose and a SLC snowmobiler dude in Wyoming. The story was a thread on the UWN a number of years back. More of our members sympathized with the snowmobile guy than the moose.
I dont rember that moose sitting there looking at the guy on the snowmobile in a non threatening way. From my recollection the moose was stomping the dude.

Common sense seemed to lacking in both situations by the dudes packing guns! Dude on the snowmobile shouldn't have arrogantly tried to run the moose off the trail inho.

It also imho shows my point moose are dangerous!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the dude is a coward...
As in most cases.... The individual's past experience(s) and the environment make all the difference. Out in public land and hunting, if I found myself in this situation, I'd pop a couple shots off in the dirt scare the crap outta that kitty. Give it some education so it learns to stay away from people. On the other hand, if I have this encounter in my backyard on property that I own where I have lost livestock/pets etc to cats repeatedly... mag dump.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Guess it depends on the laws in your locality. Is the cat protected? Is the cat a game animal? Is the cat a pest open for the taking? Your answers to these questions will have a bearing on your procedures.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Wow, I see this topic came up while i was on the muzzy deer hunt last year. No wonder I never saw it. Looking at the original video on youtube, the author/poster has it unlisted, which explains why theirs no comments or upteen thousand dislikes. A video like that, would likely go viral amongst the "self righteous" - to put a PC spin on it.

Ehhh, I dunno. Could go either way. My unpopular opinion (of which I have many) is that there are a lot of rambos packing sidearms into the hills these days just itching for a chance to use them on something besides a paper bad guy. You know those super aggro black rifle coffee drinking guys with molon labe stickers on their truck always saying "I wish a mother effer would"? A couple years ago I met up with a poster on here named opportunist down in Nephi that was helping me out with some bear bait. He was an avid bear hunter. Cool guy. He showed me some videos on his phone of a decent-sized boar bluff charging him and causing a fuss. I about shat down both legs just watching it but he told me he understands bear behavior and he knew the bear was just bluffing him. I bet a lot of the "I'll be your huckleberry" crowd would've perforated an animal for far less. Needlessly.

Opportunist, where you at? Do you still post/lurk here?
Ruh roh shaggy. Lemme see here. I''m always packing a handgun, I do drink BRCC on occasion (got a coffee mug too. :rolleyes: ) Buutttt.... I don't put Molon Labe, or "I wish an MF'er would" stickers, or anything similar on my truck. That is what I'd call chest beating, and I learned years ago it's best to stay mute or modest on some things, for many reasons. Talk is cheap. Walking the walk can have consequences. Best to avoid when you can.

Anyway, I have to ask myself, "What would I do?" in this situation. Anything like this, I view it as a learning opportunity, to learn from other peoples mistakes. I'll say upfront, I do not know cat behavior outside of what i've seen from domestic cats. (tail twitch, pinned ears, that kind of thing)

I can say for a fact, i'd have a pucker factor of a solid 10 in this situation. I do know that I would NOT want to shoot it, but I WOULD if I felt it neccessary, knowing the potential consequences that would follow. . I Had a similar experience with a cinammon bear entering our camp one year, so I've an idea on my thoughts on this. (was relieved when I didn't have to shoot, it was coming down to that moment. )

Now, that said, I think he could have made a bigger ruckus. Scolding the cat means/does NOTHING. He can't understand English. He would understand a more menacing posture, louder sterner/hasher voice, kicking of rocks. That was my first thought watching the video. Telling the cat "no" is just stupid, id think you'd need to intimidate him to get him to back off. He was way too passive. I'd have made Gunnery Sgt Hartman sound like a chiorboy, and probably achieved a few octaves previously unattainable.

Backing up probably wasn't an option. A sign of weakness, and if he tripped, the cat probably would have pounced the instant he was on the ground.

In any case, I don't think he was aggressive enough, had he been, probably wouldn't feel the need to shoot. Now, THAT being said, If being "im going to tear you apart" aggressive didn't get him to back off.. then yeah.. i'd have shot too.... a lot more then one round... and angry as hell.

Anyway Just a nickles worth armchair quarterbacking from a blathering idiot.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
There's more to this then the video in the original post. Theres a couple versions of the same video floating around. Even this one is edited a little. Out of curiousity, it would be interesting to see the unedited and raw video. Anyway, whatever, this is last year.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts