Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been having a hard time finding good marabou and soft hackle for streamers lately. just wondering what you guys get and where you get it. any help/tips/info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

chuck

·
Registered
348 Posts
What streamers are you tying?

For soft hackles, it's always best to buy a pelt of something. My favorite are pheasant, partridge, and starling. If you buy a bag of loose feathers, you are looking at 75% crap that you will end up throwing away anyway.

For marabou, Cabela's just got in the stillwater specialties marabou that is pretty sweet. I have been pretty content with the stuff I buy at sportsmans. Also, if you can stop by Fish Tech, and they will help you hand pick some prime marabou. Talk to Mickey, Nate, or Byron.

For tying in pheasant rump feathers, I did a tutorial that shows the steps that I like to use. Hope it's OK to post this link. If not delete it mods.

http://www.sweetflies.com/ click on Olive Willey.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Soft Hackles- Pea**** chest feathers,starlings and partridge in that order for me, though almost any feather can be used if tied properly no matter the length.

All my maribou came from Feather craft and was excellent.

Cheech- good looking stuff you have there from flies to the video.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not much else I can add that hasn't been said. Cheech is right about staying away from the bagged feathers. They just suck. Use pelts for the highest quality soft hackles. I like the partridge pelts that Cabela's have. But I am sure it depends on when you find it and whether the good stuff has been picked through or not.

I would rather hit Fish Tech up though, their staff and customer service are top notch. I only live 2 miles from Sportsman's and often go out of my way to get stuff there.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Fish Tech

I am a big fan of shops where the staff are knowledgeable fishermen. I get most of my tying materials from Fish Tech and am always happy with the quality. If they don't have what I need, I'll order online. Byron's shop is first rate and I get value out of their advice all the time when fishing new waters. When you buy things in the shop often enough that they know you, some good advice comes your way. Just this season I was getting the skunk up at Scofield one day under conditions that I hadn't seen before. I called Byron up from the lake, told him what I was seeing, and he made recommendations that produced fish immediately. You won't get that from an online shop, Sportsman's, Cabela's, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could someone give me the address of Fish Tec. I tried to find it and had the wrong address. Directions would help from the south, I-15

1 - 7 of 7 Posts