Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
While a .40 may be legal for hunting elk I would step up some in power to do so cleanly. I haven't looked at the energy levels that a .40 S&W has but for it to be legal it needs to have 500 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards for elk.

I have killed a few elk with pistols. A .357 mag, .44 mag revolvers, 7-30 Waters, and .357 Herrett out of a Thompson Center Contender.

The closest shot was on a cow at 20 yards and the furthest was a 150 yard shot on a raghorn bull in Colorado.

·
Administrator
21,310 Posts
Has anyone killed an elk with a hand gun? If so what did they use. I am thinking of using my Glock 23 .40 Caliber do you think it will do the trip?
Yeah, a .460 Smith & Wesson:

http://utahwildlife.net/forum/41-hunting-outside-utah/99138-da-road.html

I have a .40. I use it for road signs and beer cans. Prolly be OK though, a Utah guy shot and killed a moose in Wyoming a couple years ago with a .380. The moose "attacked" him on a snowmobile trail....uh while the guy was on a snowmobile....an operable snowmobile with fuel even. Anyway ya need to check the regs, a .40 may not meet the regs in Utah.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wyogoob What happened to the guy that shot the moose? I don't see how you can justify something like that if you can simply ride away from it? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
I just took a look at the engery levels for the .40 S&W and while there are a few factory rounds that have over 500 ftpds of energy at the muzzle I doubt that they would still have it at 100 yards as is required by the DOW. So I would say that it isn't legal for elk.

http://www.ballistics101.com/40_caliber_sw.php

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reload all my guns so I think I will be able to find a good load to get to that magic 500fps hopefully if not I will not hunt with that gun! Thanks for the info guys!:)

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
I reload all my guns so I think I will be able to find a good load to get to that magic 500fps hopefully if not I will not hunt with that gun! Thanks for the info guys!:)
Remember for a elk that needs to be at 100 yards and not the muzzle.

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
It should also be noted that the DOW does not go by what you hand load but charts such as what Cooky posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts