Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first season I'm seeing heavy impact on the ice. Yesterday I encountered packaging frozen into the deck at more than half the previously used sites. I saw one big site in which they just left an entire fire pit in place and froze splits into the holes. I'm using to seeing small stuff around but my two trips year are different.

Is it common most places for people to leave so much garbage? I pick up what I can but I just can't understand the laziness of what I saw.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Sad to see, but is the Utard fisherman that make it look like their own home. Last year at Pineview a 6 person shelter with at least 8 people were fishing near me. They picked up and left an hour before I did. When I was walking back to the truck, I crossed where they were at and they used the shelter for a chitter and pisser for the women. Toilet paper and, yup.... Chit on the ice. I wish I could have found out who they were, (besides trashy basstards) and I would have rubbed their nose in the chit.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Unfortunately, dirtbags like to ice fish too and messes like you describe are often seen. IDK if ice enthusiasts are any more trashy than other angler or hunter groups though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Fly fishermen are probably the messiest out of all the anglers.

arguments coming in 3… 2… 1…

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, dirtbags like to ice fish too and messes like you describe are often seen. IDK if ice enthusiasts are any more trashy than other angler or hunter groups though.
I rarely fished weekends my first two years so that probably plays into the difference I'm noticing.

I doubt its any worse than most groups it was just a wake up call. I've stumbled into plenty of messes doing just about anything outside. Just a little more noticeable given the realities of ice fishing, ie less dispersed.

Al that said, I just can't fathom defecating on or into the hard deck like taxidermist mentioned. That's foul.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Well....just like we've seen with trail cameras, it's the few that ruin it for all.

Might I suggest a couple new laws, that would certainly reduce the amount of trash left on the ice during ice fishing season?

A. outlaw the use of shelters from November - April. Shelters provide too much opportunity to do things "out of view" of others, which results in more opportunities for law breaking (litter, drugs, etc.).

B. outlaw the use of sleds from November - April for the purposes of hauling gear. The more "stuff" you haul out on the ice, the more opportunity to leave said "stuff" on the ice when you leave and are tired.

I think I'll write my congressman.

Reactions: colorcountrygunner

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Well....just like we've seen with trail cameras, it's the few that ruin it for all.

Might I suggest a couple new laws, that would certainly reduce the amount of trash left on the ice during ice fishing season?

A. outlaw the use of shelters from November - April. Shelters provide too much opportunity to do things "out of view" of others, which results in more opportunities for law breaking (litter, drugs, etc.).

B. outlaw the use of sleds from November - April for the purposes of hauling gear. The more "stuff" you haul out on the ice, the more opportunity to leave said "stuff" on the ice when you leave and are tired.

I think I'll write my congressman.
I like your train of thought. More rules and regulations is what we all need. Proof of vaccination and masks should also be required from anyone who wishes to recreate in the wilds of Utah.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm definitely guessing the average prude like me isn't going to pop a squat in public view, that's for sure.

No shelters would thin out the herd, so to speak. 😬 Given I've only used mine line 10% of the time I wouldn't really be affected but I'd put good money others would line up for some "fun" DWR meetings.

I've never seen the defecation but totally believe it. A small minority of users seem to find unique ways to "Leave All Trace" of their presence.

I am shocked we don't have more of a presence on the lakes. I've only seen one CO in 4 years (he balanced interaction well), but that's more than Ice seen fishing the rest of the season.

Nothing new though. My dad and grandpa would tell stories about losing fishing buddies in the 60-70s when they would call out sinking beer bottles or soda cans on the lakes and rivers they fished.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I bet with all the cans of cream corn that were dropped into Strawberry over the last 20 years, would rival any Walmart supper store canned veggie isle.

In the 70's if you didn't have flipper crotch in your tackle box you didn't come prepared.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Litter has always been an issue, but the noise pollution bothers me most. When I took young kids and/or my wife and daughter, far too many times guys set-up close enough to hear all the trash coming out of their mouths. I rarely set up close to people, but for some reason people tend to want to fish close to other people. At Joe's Valley a couple years ago, my daughter and I walked far away from the others on the ice. An hour later a group of dudes walk out and drill close enough that that I could hear them talking with colorful language about the ***-capades the night before. So I struck up a conversation with the daughter and we moved a few hundred yards further away. Sound sure travels across the ice.
Don't worry, the daughter is now in high school and probably hears stuff everyday.....

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
The last time that I was up at Jordanelle Reservoir a few years ago right after Thanksgiving I walked the shore and picked up around 20 lbs of lead sinkers that I plan on turning into muzzle loader bullets.

You have to face it. There are a lot of trashy fishermen out there. Just look at the amount of line, worm containers, power bait jars, and other things that get left along the shore of any Reservoir during the seasons.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My wife and I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Uintah's and it was so disappointing how much trash we would find. You expect the wilderness area to be just that, wilderness, not somebody's idea of a land fill.

Why is it that they can pack an item it in when it's full and they can't pack it out when it's empty?

It shows a complete lack of respect for the great outdoors and other people. :mad:

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I am shocked we don't have more of a presence on the lakes. I've only seen one CO in 4 years (he balanced interaction well), but that's more than Ice seen fishing the rest of the season.
I have fished literally hundreds upon hundreds (if not thousands) of days in Utah in my life. I have had a total of two interactions with conservation officers in all those days. One day I got my license checked up at Strawberry while walking the bank fishing for cruisers at ice off. The other was in Provo Canyon fishing the Lower Provo and they did not even check my license, but they encouraged me to keep a limit of fish.

That's it. Manpower is a real issue, but I also think they don't make that a real priority.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Packout,

I'm sorry to hear of those experiences. The hard deck is definitely a unique auditorium for such noise and conversation. I have yet to have to move away from folks but I normally give a ton of distance from the most crowded spots. I really like my solitude as an introvert. I go on the ice to recharge.

Vanilla,

Funding enough COs to have regular contact would be an interesting expense report to see. We are such a big state with resources spread out geographically.

But I agree, I think it's not a huge priority. Don't mean that as an insult but mostly a reflection that we all know "most" fisherman/hunters are a solid, thoughtful bunch. It's tough to expend so many resources to police a small subset.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Vanilla,

Funding enough COs to have regular contact would be an interesting expense report to see. We are such a big state with resources spread out geographically.

But I agree, I think it's not a huge priority. Don't mean that as an insult but mostly a reflection that we all know "most" fisherman/hunters are a solid, thoughtful bunch. It's tough to expend so many resources to police a small subset.
They definitely don't have the manpower to constantly police the whole state. But how many times have I fished Strawberry, the most used water in the state, and only been checked one time?

The first time I saw an article like this I had no idea it included fish, but they do. In 2021 they account for 374 fish illegally taken. 374 fish, that's it. I call that a slow Saturday at the Berry, let alone all waters of the state.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I've only ever been license checked once fishing in Utah--on the ice at Yuba. I've never been checked hunting in Utah.

Yes, Utah is a good sized state, and doesn't properly fund COs for effective wildlife management.

BUT... The finances of the state of Utah are better managed than many states (including Alaska), with budget surpluses not being uncommon.

By comparison, I get license checked fishing on creeks and rivers about 1:5 trips in Alaska, checked while ice fishing at least 10x per season, and have been license checked at least a dozen times while hunting up here. I can't think of a location that I've hunted or fished up here that I haven't been license checked. Including once when I was hiking way back in the middle of nowhere and had a trooper's plane land on the ridge to do a license check. Alaska is ~7x the size of Utah, with a much smaller tax base. And we have struggled with state budget deficits for the past 6 years.

To me that means there could be better funding for wildlife enforcement in Utah, but there's just not the desire to do so in the powers that be.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I don’t even think there needs to be more funding if you want to see better enforcement. Just alter the priorities a little.

Of course it would be good to double the number of COs out there. I’d be all for that. Without a change in priorities, they’d still be too underfunded to do effective license/creep checks.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Oh, are we not supposed to "defund the police" now? LOL

Last year at Strawberry fishing Kokes, the wife and I were checked all but two trips. Checked on the rifle elk hunt and the ML deer last year. I thanked the officers and did mention they needed to be out and about more often. I have never been checked ice fishing in over 30 years. Maybe they should get on a machine, buddy up, and cruise the ice huts doing checks. Maybe they do, but, I have yet to see it.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Just out of curiosity -- it sounds to me like you guys think that fishing without a license is a big issue in Utah. is that correct?

Personally, I don't think that "not being checked" is accurate. I do think that you probably have been "observed" while fishing. I also think that it's possible that license plates of vehicles in parking areas are looked at, names run through checks, etc.

For me, I try to follow all of the laws and rules, so I don't feel like I need to be "checked". It would be a waste of time for an officer to come ask me for my license, because I always have a legal license with me. However, if I were out smoking a joint while fishing? Then maybe there would be a good reason to be approached and "checked".

FWIW -- I went with the DWR a couple years ago to Fish Lake for a "blitz". Basically, they had a bunch of LEOs all dressed in plain old snow clothes. We all jumped on ATVs, with sleds full of fishing gear. We went out on the ice, they set up a couple tents, and then they started watching all the other anglers out on the ice.

Just because a LEO didn't walk up to you and speak with you doesn't mean you haven't been "checked". But, I get it, sometimes we want that presence of a uniformed officer out making contact.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts