Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost my best friend yesterday morning. My 9 year old yellow Lab Jake passed away in is sleep after suffering an apparant heart attack on Friday at Salt Creek. I have memory's of hundreds of hunts and memorable retrieves and lot's of pictures but I'll always miss my Best Buddy Jake

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Oh man.... sorry to hear that. Glad you guys had the best of times together in the marsh while he was here and at least he passed in his sleep. Hopefully someday you can get another pup that'll remind you of Jake and it'll be a dog he'd be proud of.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Man, Sorry to here that, Its hard to loose your hunting partner. I lost one of mine back in October, I still miss the old man.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My condolences.

My dog is still a pup so I'm hopefully many years away from that day but I'm dreading it already.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Has your dog ever passed out or come back from a retrieve and have to "take a knee"?

I had a 10 year old die a while back from a heart problem.(DCM) I only took him out on a couple hunts last year that I knew wouldn't be too physical on him. One rooster hunt on my buddies farm where we got a rooster in about 10 minutes and called it quits and one duck hunt where I knew we would be done really fast after it started, a 15 minute limit of Mallards. Those were his last hunts that I will never forget.

Anyway, My dog started off after a Retrieve or two and come back to me and it would seem he would have to take a knee for a minute then he would be fine. Then he just started to pass out. $1500 worth of test at the vet and he was diagnosed with Dialated Cardio Myothpy which led to about $200 a month in medication. He lived another 6 months.

Sorry for your loss, we all go through it.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man that is rough. :cry:

I almost lost my four year old lab Madison this summer. I was cat fishing and she ate a hook with chicken liver on it. It got stuck in her esophagus. I took her to the vet and he told me he had to operate to get it out or he had to put her down. I had the vet operate on her and she is doing fine, but he said there was a chance she might night survive the operation. I have always loved my dog but now I cherish every moment with her knowing they might not have ever happened.

Our hunting dogs give us great memories and I can't image hunting ducks with out mine.

I am sorry to high jack your thread if you want I will edit it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts