Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is that I am lucky to be home alive with no property damage after this morning. Holman927, Jat83, Shaueelab and I went on quite the adventure. The plan was to fish E-lake but when we discovered there was no parking and that our trucks would likely be burried by a snowplow, as well as nothing other than a steep drop off we went to hunnington instead. The start of the tirp was great, Holman927 iced a tiger and I had a strike on the patened orvis double dough. From there lets just say it went down hill, the big alaskan tundra storm blew in and we were almost blown of the lake, as well as pelted with little ice balls from mother nature (guess it was her way of telling us to leave).

As far as the question of who is better Dodge or Chevy, I had to pull a chevy out from a snow bank so I was feeling pretty cool about myself. Shaueelab will post of the the photos later, I am sure of it. We thought that we would try our luck at scofield and headed out into the storm. It ususaly only takes 20 min to get there but can you see the road in this picture?

Trying to avoid another Chevy stuck on the side of the road my tires caught the edge of the pavement and the mighty Dodge slipped into the grasp of the snow monster. Luckily a Chevy Tahoe tried to pull us out but couldn't manage to get us free. The three of us dug for another 1/2 hour is balmy temps to dig us out of the snow (we were up to the door handles!). Fianlly Shaueelab and the mighty Toyota Tacoma with some coaxing dragged the 1 ton Dodge out of the grips of the snow monster! I guess today the Toyota was the tuffest truck.

Lessons learned today:

1. Ice fishing sucks in the middle of a blizzard

2. Four wheel drive will not get you out of anything

3. Fat guys do not climb hills fast when falling through waist deep snow

4. Had a blast on our adventure and met some cool new fishing buddies!

--\O

·
Registered
814 Posts
Re: Hearties Fisheman Award!

Orvis, first of all, your pictures don't describe it very well. You guys were FREAKIN NUTS! We were the guys by you in the tents. That weather sucked I thought the wind was going to blow my tent to pieces. We didn't have any car troubles luckily (I drive a Chevy ;), but i agree Dodge's are the ticket) We seen you guys out there in the hail and the snow. We thought you wouldn't last 15 minutes but you held it out a lot longer then we thought you would've. You guys are freakin crazy. I told my buddies you couldn't pay me to be tentless and out there on the ice ha ha. Nice pics though, but it don't come close to putting it into perspective.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hearties Fisheman Award!

Were you the guy that came out to talk to us, or the guy the tried to help my fat butt up the hill with the snowmobile? Did you have any better luck than we did pretty slow day soft takes and very few and far between. Thanks for confirming our story, we are die hards. That is only step 3 in my ICE-HO traing program.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Well now I feel a little bit better about passing this one up. Sounds rough.

I can't believe you attempted going over the hump to Scofield. It gets pretty high from there.

Glad you guys stayed safe (enough), snow banks and all.

So only 1 fish all day?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wow, with all the frozen water options out there right now you guys opted for the one with small fish, 2 hours away (in good weather) during a winter storm at over 10,000 feet elevation. Hearty is not the first word that comes to mind......

·
Registered
814 Posts
The guy that came out and talked to you was in my tent. I tried to stay out of that crap today ha ha. And yeah the fishing was slow for us as well. Really discouraging.

·
Registered
622 Posts
ScottyP said:
Wow, with all the frozen water options out there right now you guys opted for the one with small fish, 2 hours away (in good weather) during a winter storm at over 10,000 feet elevation. Hearty is not the first word that comes to mind......
I'll second that . Must be a gene pool thing .

·
Registered
405 Posts
LOAH said:
Well now I feel a little bit better about passing this one up. Sounds rough.

I can't believe you attempted going over the hump to Scofield. It gets pretty high from there.

So only 1 fish all day?
ScottyP said:
Why not? Something new. Somewhere that isn't saturated with people. And being able to fish for tiger trout. Fishing is fishing, an adventure is an adventure. Beats the alternative of sitting at home.

quote="LOAH"]Well now I feel a little bit better about passing this one up. Sounds rough.

So only 1 fish all day?[/quote]

Yes only one fish. We got some other hits, which were very suttle and hard to detect in such windy conditions. Sorry no pictures. I opted to release it as soon as I could seeing it was a suicidle fish. I got the bite went to real it in, and there was no pressure on the line. Before I new it it had jumped out of the water and was flipping around on the ice. Strangest fish I ever caught.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Even though the weather sounds like it was horrible, I wish I was there. My wife got called out in the middle of the night because one of her patients died and I was stuck babysitting with no phone. I really try not to puss out of these things but I couldn't predict or control this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to agree with Scotty P. 10,000 feet in elevation mostly small fish. Why? Skyline can get flat out nasty! From my vantage point in sanpete valley I wanted no part of the east mountain. (Huntington, Scofield, etc). By the way how much snow was on Hunington reservoir? Before this storm hit today there was four and a half feet of snow on top of skyline. Just out of curosity why spend a day fishing Huntington reservoir, Scofield? When you can get a much better bang for your buck at Strawberry, Flaming Gorge ?(Large average fish). Thanks for the pictures Orvis 1! By the way you guys are crazy cats! That wasn't just a snow storm on top of the skyline drive that was a blizzard, which doesn't happen everyday!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorry you guys didnt have a successful outing. Too bad the weather was horrible for you guys today, and one fish doesnt help out either. At least you guys didnt puss out like others! Still wish I could have got out somewhere today though... Next week though! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My goal was to fish e-lake because there is no slot limit there and some nice cuts, but without a snowmobile I don't think anyone will be able to access it this winter. They are using the boat ramp entrance as a snow plow turn around and dumping large amounts of snow so you can't pass. That is why we ended up at hunnington I love tigers and hunnington can have some nice fish, at least every bit as good a east canyon with better fighters. Last time I only got 45 min on the ice and we did well. The snow was deep we burried my truck up to the door handles when we slid off the road, and I kept punching though the snow trying to climb back to the truck. It would go at least 3 1/2 feet so I ended having to get on my hands and knees and crawl to the truck. The snow was only about 16 inches on top of the ice the ice is thick about 12-14 inches of ice to drill through. There were other anglers on the ice so we weren't the only "idiots" my idea just didn't pan out so that was the best alternative. Remember this was only my 2nd time ice fishing cut a brotha some slack!

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
You know don't you that people regularly get stuck on top of those mountains and freeze to death this time of year. Stranded overnight in a vehicle at 40 below zero will turn you into a popsicle by morning. -)O(-

What am I saying here? I'm just envious, and I might as well admit to it. My outside experience for the day was shoveling my driveway. :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Ahhhh. Don't worry about it Orvis1....you did exactly the right thing.!! You went fishing where and when you wanted. You may have not had a good time but I'd bet it was a good experience....
In fact....If you want to do it again, I'll go with you !! *\-\* *\-\*

That's better than sitting around eating Twinkies and watching cartoons.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thats what ice fishing is all about. For me anyways. I will take it as a compliment. Im on an outdoors sight being told that Im crazy because I went fishing at a somewhat remote place.
Maybe Im not as crazy as some others might be panzies :shock: :mrgreen: :lol:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plus the bonus is being able to fish with 3 new forum members was worth the outing. Holman and I have some plans on tearing up the rivers this summer! Looking back at it some pre-scouting would have saved me some trouble, but that those are trips to remember! .45 you are always welcome in our group, I thought you didn't like ice fishing?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
orvis1 said:
Plus the bonus is being able to fish with 3 new forum members was worth the outing. Holman and I have some plans on tearing up the rivers this summer! Looking back at it some pre-scouting would have saved me some trouble, but that those are trips to remember! .45 you are always welcome in our group, I thought you didn't like ice fishing?
I hate ice fishing....I like to be around good people though... :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
That was definitely an adventure that will be remembered. That was my first taste of ice fishing and the winds were fierce, like what was mentioned by others earlier, I would rather be there than sitting on my butt at home! I had a good time, not a lot of fish, but a lot of laughs and it was good to meet some new fishing buddies! Better luck next time! Are we crazy? Heck no, just adrenaline junkies :lol: We gotta do that again soon!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the invite guys! had a blast! hopefully next time we catch some fish!!! :mrgreen: [attachment=5:yyyr5uyz]DSCN2270a.JPG[/attachment:yyyr5uyz][attachment=4:yyyr5uyz]DSCN2271a.JPG[/attachment:yyyr5uyz][attachment=3:yyyr5uyz]DSCN2274a.JPG[/attachment:yyyr5uyz][attachment=2:yyyr5uyz]DSCN2273a.JPG[/attachment:yyyr5uyz][attachment=1:yyyr5uyz]DSCN2272a.JPG[/attachment:yyyr5uyz][attachment=0:yyyr5uyz]DSCN2275a.JPG[/attachment:yyyr5uyz]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great pics and story, looks like a crazy trip but something you'll probably talk about for the rest of your lives....

I was stuck putzing around the city today but would have loved to be on an "adventure" such as this one....well, maybe with a few more fish though!!! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts