Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I am an undergraduate student in the school of criminal justice at Dixie State University in southern Utah. For my capstone class I have to preform original research on a topic of my choosing. I have chosen to research how differing levels of severity and certainty of punishment effect the probability that individuals will participate in wildlife oriented crime such as poaching. I have Chosen this as a research topic because of my love for the outdoors. I have grown up loving to spend time outdoors hunting, and fishing. Furthermore I have pursued a degree in criminal justice in hopes of becoming a game warden so that I can live and work in the environment that I love. I would encourage everyone to read through the consent form below and if able take the survey. Every person who participates helps me out a great deal, so I would like to thank you all in advance for your help. A link to my survey can be found here and also at the end of the consent form.

Consent Form Introduction

Please read this form carefully. The purpose of this form is to provide you with important information about taking part in a research study. If any of the statements or words in this form are unclear, please let us know. We would be happy to answer any questions.

If you have any questions about the research or any portion of this form, please ask us.

The person in charge of this study is R. C. Morris. R. C. Morris can be reached at [email protected]

Why is this study being done?

The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship between swiftness and certainty of punishment, and their deterrent effect on wildlife offenders.

We are asking you to take part in this study because you are an active member of the sporting and wildlife community.

How long will I take part in this research study?

We expect that you will be participating in this research study for the time it takes to complete the nine question survey which we approximate to be no more than 15 minutes. During the course of the survey if you feel that you need to take a break or skip certain questions please feel free to do so.

What will happen if I take part in this research study?

If you agree to take part in this study, we will ask you to continue to read this consent script to its completion. Once you have completed reading the consent script you may click the link to the survey which should take no more than 15 minutes to complete. After the completion of the survey you will be done.

How Will You Keep My Study Records Confidential?

We will keep the records of this study confidential by not asking for or storing any personally identifiable information. In other words we will not ask for names, dates of birth, social security numbers, addresses, or any other information that might be considered as personally identifiable. Furthermore all recorded responses are kept in a password protected database. We will make every effort to keep your records confidential. However, there are times when federal or state law requires the disclosure of your records.

The following people or groups may review your study records for purposes such as quality control or safety:
• The Researcher and any member of his research team
• The Institutional Review Board at Dixie State University. The Institutional Review Board is a group of people who review human research studies for safety and protection of people who take part in the studies.
• Federal and state agencies that oversee or review research

The study data will be stored within a password protected database.

The results of this research study may be published or used for teaching. We will not put identifiable information on data that are used for these purposes.

Study Participation and Early Withdrawal

Taking part in this study is your choice. You are free not to take part or to withdraw at any time for any reason. No matter what you decide, there will be no penalty or loss of benefit to which you are entitled. If you decide to withdraw from this study, the information that you have already provided will be kept confidential.

What are the risks of taking part in this research study?

Questionnaire/Survey Risks

You may feel emotional or upset when answering some of the questions. Tell the interviewer at any time if you want to take a break or stop the interview.

You may be uncomfortable with some of the questions and topics we will ask about. You do not have to answer any questions that make you feel uncomfortable.

Loss of Confidentiality

The main risk of allowing us to use and store your information for research is a potential loss of privacy. We will protect your privacy by not collecting personally identifiable information, and by storing all other collected data in a password-protected database.

Are there any benefits from being in this research study?

There are no benefits to you from taking part in this research.

What alternatives are available?

You may choose not to take part in this research study.

Will I get paid for taking part in this research study?

We will not pay you for taking part in this study.

What will it cost me to take part in this research study?

There are no costs to you for taking part in this research study.

If I have any questions or concerns about this research study, who can I talk to?

You can contact us with any concerns or questions. Our contact information is listed below:

Principal investigator: R.C. Morris
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (435) 879-4427

Co-Principal investigator: John Ivey
Email: [email protected]

If you have questions about your rights as a research subject or want to speak with someone independent of the research team, you may contact the Dixie State University IRB directly at 617-358-6115.

Statement of Consent

Participation in the survey implies consent.

Link to the Survey

Survey Link

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I do not think that you have enough answers provided. What if you are just a law abiding person with no reason to shoot the deer? I invite the other mods to look this over.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Ya we've been down this road. I still do not understand the signing part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya we've been down this road. I still do not understand the signing part.
the signing part of the consent form is an error on my part. We are given a stock form that we have adapt to our individual projects, and I apparently overlooked the part that is asking for a signature. Because my project is not collecting any personal information from participants there is no signature that is required.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Then again I suggest you edit it out! We just hashed this out sometime ago on this same survey?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
"However there are times when state and federal laws require the disclosure of your records""quote"

I suggest you get a new format filled out before you ask any body for information.

Please help me out! This was the same deal and look at the mess it created.

Get your ducks in a row before you ask any thing.Thanks

Reactions: LostLouisianian

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
I'm all for helping students succeed but I think your professor needs to reevaluate his disclosure statement. Most people won't agree to those terms.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
I'm all for helping students succeed but I think your professor needs to reevaluate his disclosure statement. Most people won't agree to those terms.
He's probably a liberal and interprets the lack of involvement from sportsmen as an admission of guilt. Ain't that how those college professor types think? ;)

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
I do not think that you have enough answers provided. What if you are just a law abiding person with no reason to shoot the deer? I invite the other mods to look this over.
Yes, I'm a little taken back by the answer choices to the questions.

I'm going to counter with my own question:

When you beat up your wife do you:

• Use your right hand
  • Use your left hand
  • Use both hands

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I do not think that you have enough answers provided. What if you are just a law abiding person with no reason to shoot the deer? .
Exactly... Goob's response is perfect. The student needs to send Goob's post to his professor.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
Yes, I'm a little taken back by the answer choices to the questions.

I'm going to counter with my own question:

When you beat up your wife do you:

• Use your right hand
  • Use your left hand
  • Use both hands
I agree. Where's the fourth answer that says, "I would not shoot the deer because it's against legal and ethical laws"?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I have my doubts about this survey....if it stinks like a fish, if it stinks like a skunk, if it stinks like crap then it's probably not a good idea to jump in it. Big brother can jump up my you know what.....

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Are we being "snarky";-) Take this poll to the gut pile and see what response come out of it.:shock:

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I thought it needed a response that was something along the lines of "I wouldn't shoot the deer out of season because it is unethical to poach". That would express the feelings of the vast majority of hunters. Perhaps the liberal ideology can't understand that most people do the right things simply because it is the right thing to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts