Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have this tag this year. I wasnt lucky in the draw having 0 points after drawing it last year. I'll be looking good to draw it next year. With that said, this is one of my favorite hunts because I can ride the hell out of the horses and hunt elk at the same time. I'm just wondering how its going up there for anyone with a tag this year. I know last year was tough. Didnt get into any cows until January.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife and I have tags this year. Waiting on some snow. Last I heard there was very little snow and the elk weren't in there yet.
Wes

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife and I have tags this year. Waiting on some snow. Last I heard there was very little snow and the elk weren't in there yet.
Wes
Well Wes, the snow is moving in as we speak. You and your wife might be in business very soon.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Up to 6 inches or so in the valley by Tues. Could mean a foot or better up high. Just hope it doesn't all melt within the first few days, or you're back to square 1.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Hunted elk yesterday not far from there, and found a group of about 20 but they were still up high being lazy and conserving energy. Not a lot of snow up there yesterday but today's accumulation should get them moving.

On a side note: Lots of very nice late season bucks running around this year!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kinda in the same boat, I have the tag across the street, haha. Hopefully I can get some time now with the snow and fill it!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I dont have this tag this year. I wasnt lucky in the draw having 0 points after drawing it last year. I'll be looking good to draw it next year. With that said, this is one of my favorite hunts because I can ride the hell out of the horses and hunt elk at the same time. I'm just wondering how its going up there for anyone with a tag this year. I know last year was tough. Didnt get into any cows until January.
Jake - if you still want the cow hunt experience this year, I'm going to start looking for mine up in the Parley's area after the first of the year. I have the last three weekends of the season blocked out. Hoping that the weather keeps cooperating and all this white stuff doesn't melt off by then.

We might even be able to get in that game processing session in if we're lucky.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm all about it Mike! You got my number. Its gonna be cow down time! 8)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am heading up tomorrow to give the horses a workout. We will see how it goes.

sd
Good deal. Hopefully this snow has them moving in there for you right now. You will probably see plenty of bulls if its like last year at this time. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang.... See any bulls or big bucks? I'm seeing ALOT of snow forecast for Henefer next week on AccuWeather.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not any real big bucks a lot of bucks that could be great next year. Not a elk in sight or tracks or sign. I was slightly disappointed. If not for a great horse ride it would have been a bummer of a day.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I remember right last year we started seeing bachelor groups of bulls during the last week of december (no elk or sign prior to that and started hunting in nov just to ride and hope to stumble onto some elk). Didnt see any cows until jan and then on the 10th me and a buddy dropped two all the way back by the fence of the cwmu on the croydon side. Saw some monster bucks that last week of December through the end of the hunt.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have a henefer tag get your ass on your horse and get up there cuz business is good!!! I went up today to hunt rabbits and saw 3 different herds of cows. One herd was higher but looked to have 60 head in it. Someone shot this one way low a couple days ago it looked like.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts