Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum but not new to hunting. I recently learned I drew the Henry Mountain Rifle tag this year. I have never hunted down in South Central Utah, so I am a little bit out of my element. I guess I am asking if anyone has any advice or experience hunting this area that they can give me. I am not going to hire a guide as they are crazy expensive. I am going to be going down several times throughout the year to scout. I have heard that the bigger bucks are around Mt. Pennell but I have also heard that they can be found all over the range. Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I don't know the area but congrats on an awesome tag! I hope you report back with some cool pics of big deer!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Big bucks are all over there Pinnell, Ellen, Hillers......whatever you do DONT shoot the first "big" buck you see! Get off the roads with the gaggle of 15 quad queers that has 1 hunter with them & glass, glass, glass!

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
Honestly the deer move around there every month. With the weather changes nationwide the last few years, every year will tell its own tale. Every mountain has Studs.

Fact is: That tag is what it is. You will score a buck of a lifetime.

Common advice would be to give yourself the whole hunt, or as many days as possible. The best advice will come from guys like Mule that have been there during rough weather - go prepared for flash flooding, have spare tires, chains, etc... It can be a mean mountain range.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hey man congratulations the tag!! That's awesome!!!

whatever you do DONT shoot the first "big" buck you see!
If I had your tag, this is the advice I'd take. Having never really hunted "premium" units, I'm not sure what a real trophy animal looks like on the hoof. Being on the Henry's you will see big bucks regardless of where you go. Just make sure when you pull the trigger it's something you're going to be happy with. I hate seeing pictures of monster deer (or any deer for that matter) and reading about how the hunter was disappointed and how the buck that just gave it's life wasn't as big as the hunter thought. Know what you're shooting before you shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Scout as a much as possible. Bucks are all over down there. There are many, many great bucks down there and many several INCREDIBLE bucks. If you don't get the opportunity to scout much you may be wise to leave your ammo at camp the first day so you are forced to pass up on many of the great bucks. They are honestly a dime a dozen. Nothing wrong with them at all but when you see one that is INCREDIBLE it will never leave your mind.

Reactions: bamacpl

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would make sure you hold the gun of choice and a good friend that you trust a TON to hold your ammo. Never have both at the same time. Like they mentioned before, dont shoot the 1st big buck you see. UNLESS you scouted and knew that was the one. I wish I had the tag. Good luck, may your dream come true this October!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you are going to make several trips down there you will have no problem finding a great buck. My advice would be to do everything else you can to make it the hunt of a lifetime. Pictures, video, family, friends and be prepared for anything so you don't have hang-ups.

Finding a monster buck is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
This is a tag that can produce a huge amount of stress and anxiety. It is truly one of the best mule deer units on the planet. It produces MONSTER bucks, year after year.

My advice is similar to Truelife's---enjoy the ride. If you are happy with a 190 inch buck you shot on opening day, so be it. Who cares if there was a 205 inch buck two draws over? Or a 230 inch buck on the next mountain? If you are happy, that is all that matters. I understand why people say to have someone else hold your bullets, this is a once in a lifetime type of hunt for the vast majority of us. You want to kill the best buck you can. But don't let all that distract from enjoying the experience. I think that is what most people end up missing out on when they draw a premium tag.

Go scout. Figure out the quality of animals you are seeing. Decide what will make you happy. Then kill a great buck. And be happy with it. Don't worry about what others down there are doing.

Realize that the biggest bucks on the mountain will be named and watched daily from July on by the various guide outfits. You may get lucky and stumble into one. But they do this so their clients can measure their success in inches and dollars.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Realize that the biggest bucks on the mountain will be named and watched daily from July on by the various guide outfits. You may get lucky and stumble into one. But they do this so their clients can measure their success in inches and dollars.
This statement is exactly TRUE! Even "lesser" great bucks that aren't named and videoed every step are likely to have another hunter after them come opening morning. These are also probably the most watched deer on the planet.

Good luck! Share pics throughout the summer with us poor guys that will never get a Henry's deer tag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts