Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Which season? My sister drew the late season this year, and I had it a few years ago. It is a fun hunt! Welcome to the forum, tell us a bit about yourself--style of hunting, experience, etc. it's always helpful to know what you know before giving help that might be redundant. Congrats on the draw btw!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the first two weeks in Dec. I have mostly archery hunted deer, and have never been to the Henry Mt's. I have a 7 mm Mag that I was planing on using, will that be enough gun. Not very experienced rifle hunting.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Your 7mm is fine, just study some vitals charts as bison are not very similar internally to deer and elk. Use a good bullet and practice. Most people hunt off notom road and can find them high or low. Don't drive through stuff too fast, I shot my cow out of a group that some guys on sleds had passed several times--including after I shot my cow. Keep your eyes peeled and have a blast! Weather and road conditions are completely variable there so be prepared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great advise, I am way excited for this hunt. I'll probably go over 3 or 4 times before the hunt. I live in Cedar so it a good drive just get there.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have the early hunters choice tag. Have never chased bison, did not expect to actually get the tag for a few more years.
Do they tend to stay in the same areas, or do they move in the fall towards winter to a different area? I don't want to waste a bunch of time scouting and then they have moved due to the time of year.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
awesome 2full! From what I've picked up, they will be where they want to be! That being said, I know that guys regularly find them in some of the same areas in the early season. How many points did you have?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I know when they do decide to go, they can go a lonnnnng way.

I had 14 points. I am still kind of in shock that I drew the tag this year.
There is a lot of guys in front of that had more points. I retire in 2-3 years, figured
that I had a good chance to get the tag in a few years and be able to dedicate lots of time.
But I will take it for sure !!!!

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Let's just say that I am extremely jealous of all of you! At least this year I get to tag along for my sister's hunt (definitely takes the sting out!) and my brother should get a cow tag in the next 1-3 years. Other than that, I guess I can start applying next year for Alaska's bison hunt at <1% odds in the straight draw!

Bison hunting is a blast and the Henry's are stunning. I want to see lots of pics this fall, and I'll try and share whatever scouting info I pick up after I get back to Utah in September!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congrats on the tags guys. You'll have a lot of fun. I had the late season cow permit last year and documented some of my hunt here: http://UtahWildlife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87729

If want to send me a PM i can give you GPS coordinates to where 3 bison were killed on the cow hunt.

Don't undereatimate the size of the area. Just getting off the pavement to where you want to hunt takes a long time. We spotted bison every day other than the days we were in blizzards. Hard part is getting to them. We didn't have horses and knew how hard it would be to get one out of there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And to add to that the guys on this forum provided a huge amount of information on this hunt. As it gets closer I'll try to help out as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have much to learn between now and the start of my hunt. Thanks in advance for any help. I plan on going back to previous threads to learn as well. Will spend as much time as I can scouting and learning the area. I will pass on as much info as I can from my hunt as well.
We will have at least a couple of horses, and several guys have already offered to come along to help.
They say it takes a village to raise a child....Probably takes one to take care of a buffalo as well ;-)

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Good luck, its not as easy as you would think. My dad drew a bull tag in 98 I think it was. We hunted a ton down there and he ended up with tag soup. Talked to DWR guys down there riding around, they acted like PETA members, annoyed we'd even think to shoot a bison and were extremely unhelpful. I put 900 miles on my truck over 3 weeks there, ended up replacing all the steering parts afterwards as the roads shook that truck apart (all tie-rods, pitman, 1 ball joint).

Early hunt, dont overlook the north side of Ellen.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I talked to a couple of guys the other day, and they said the DWR guys they ran into were very helpful when they were hunting on the Henry's. I guess it depends on the officer you run into.
When I hunted the Paunsy a couple of years ago, they were very friendly and helpful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts