Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im buying a shotgun that will shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. My Question is if i plug it to hold only 3 1/2 i can put in more than the legal amount of 2 3/4 If i only carry 3 1/2 inch on me can i get a citation for that ? hopefully someone from the dwr can answer this or if you know the answer i would greatly appreciate it . *-HELP!-*

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
If you use the plug that comes with the gun, it shouldn't hold more than 2 in the magazine, even if you are using 2 3/4 inch shells. If it will hold more than that it is illegal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K so if your plugged for 3 1/2 then you can fit more than two 2 3/4 so my dilema is hat legal to be plugged for 3 1/2 as long as you only carry 3 1/2 shells?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My nephew and I were hunting with a friend last year and we got checked, my friend only shoots 3" and 31/2" shells, he had lost his factory plug so he made one for his gun and made sure that only 2 3"shells would fit in the magazine. The problem was that my nephew was shooting 2 3/4 shells so that is what the officer used to check our guns with and sure enough three slipped into the magazine. So the officer had no choice but to write him a ticket. Rules are rules and you can't have more than two shells in the magazine, I would try to find the right plug that will work with all three sizes of shells. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I just did some checking. The plug in my kid's 870 Express Super Magnum is about 3/4 inch shorter than the plug in my 870 Wingmaster Magnum. These are both factory plugs that came with the guns from Remington. My guess is that you can get the right plug from any of the local gun shops. My experience with the local conservation officers is that they will test your magazine capacity with a measured hose or some other gage. Not with live shotgun shells. The law states that your magazine cannot hold more than two shells, not more than two shells that you happen to have in your possession. Best to be safe and not leave your fate in the hands of a CO and judge who may be having a bad day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My best friend works for the Division and yes you will get a ticket. As was mentioned earlier, the factory choke plug is designed to allow the magazine to only hold 2 shells regardless of size. C.O.'s will have absolutely no tolerance and more than two is a ticket, no matter what your excuse is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your right Loke he did measure with the tube first and said that it was just barley over so he checked it with the shells, I think he was trying to give my friend the benefit of a doubt that his gun would still only hold the 2 shells. This was on a management area and the officers there are always friendly and try to give info to get into some birds, but you can't blame them for having to do their job.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've loaded one of my guns, with a 3.5" chamber and factory mag plug, with 2.75" shells and was never able to get more than two in the mag. But that's just me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just do the math and be a little smart. If you use a plug which allows two 3.5" shells, that equals 7 inches total. Two 2.75" shells equal 5.5" total. If you try to fit 2.75" shells into that same plugged magazine then only two will fit because you should only have 1.5" of space left over. Which means that you cannot have three 2.75" shells if you use the correct size plug in your magazine. It would pay you to check yours and make any changes if needed. :wink:

WP

·
Registered
688 Posts
What Waterproof say, Do the math.

I have a shotgun that came with a plug that only allowed two 2 3/4" shells in the magazine and would only allow one 3" shell in the magazine. I cut the plug so two 3" shells would fit in the magizine, that gun has been checked twice by wardens and zero tickets were issued.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
I also was thinking about this when i bought my new BPS. It is chambered to fit 2 3/4" or 3" shells so I was curious if there should have been two plugs. So i checked it. I put in the plug, then loaded the mag with each size of shell. Sure enough, only 2 fit in of either size. Like the others said before me, if you use the stock plug it should work, but it is wise to check it out first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
try putting three 2 3/4 shells in and if you can only fit two than your in luck if you put all three in than talk to dwr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts