Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/2015-12-18_justification_statement.pdf

Looks and sounds like a bunch of BS to me. They claim RMEF had now way to prove they could find a venue to host the convention.
They also claim RMEF couldn't prove they would bring in $1 million+ on the app fees.
Those sound like, we wanted SFW and so we are going to make up crap on RMEF.

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
Notice how they repeatedly refer to SFW by name, but only refer to RMEF as "Offeror B". In all fairness they should have referred to SFW as Offeror A, or called out RMEF as the other party.

-DallanC

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
As I've posted many times,

The DWR and SFW are so tight I'm not sure which one is which.....
Inseparable!

Reactions: Bax*

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
http://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/2015-12-18_justification_statement.pdf

Looks and sounds like a bunch of BS to me. They claim RMEF had now way to prove they could find a venue to host the convention.
They also claim RMEF couldn't prove they would bring in $1 million+ on the app fees.
They are all BS reasons. It was rigged from the second RMEF turned in their bid. Don't support the expo and start sending emails and making phone calls.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
RMEF was sunk on questions 1, 2, and 6, and it's really too bad. As has been stated previously, those questions were written with one objective in mind, and that was to pad SWF's point total. As one of many examples, how do you penalize an organization for not having an expo space when they haven't even been awarded it yet? That is asinine!

I hope some good comes out of this because RMEF and this state just got screwed by special interests and good ol boy politicking.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
RMEF was sunk on questions 1, 2, and 6, and it's really too bad. As has been stated previously, those questions were written with one objective in mind, and that was to pad SWF's point total. As one of many examples, how do you penalize an organization for not having an expo space when they haven't even been awarded it yet? That is asinine!

I hope some good comes out of this because RMEF and this state just got screwed by special interests and good ol boy politicking.
things to do for change:

-Don't attend the expo or apply for tags if you can. (The fact SFW upper personnel seem to draw several times in their life, should be enough to step away from the tags)
-Contact expo sponsors and let them know you won't be supporting them if they continue to sponsor this corrupt expo
-if you have a booth at the expo take your business to one of the other expos
-contact state and DWR reps and let your opinion be known
-if your non-resident stop applying in Utah and email the DWR and let them know why you've stopped

I hate to hurt the DWRs funding or conservation money, but we can apply a lot of pressure and get rid of this corrupt system if we start standing against it. The DWR and SFW have asked for this, it is just pitiful it is our wildlife and average sportsmen that have to loose until this good ole boy system is over.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe we should rally outside the expo and inform others not on this site, of this travesty. Collect signatures ect.

Reactions: robiland

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
things to do for change:

-Don't attend the expo or apply for tags if you can. (The fact SFW upper personnel seem to draw several times in their life, should be enough to step away from the tags)
-Contact expo sponsors and let them know you won't be supporting them if they continue to sponsor this corrupt expo
One problem that you are going to run into is that if every member that has ever created a profile on UWN refused to go to the expo then you would only have less than 52,000 members that wouldn't show up. But out of that 52,000 you have to figure that at least 25%-50% are going to support SWF in one way or the other.

Not saying that I agree with what was done but you just have to face the facts of the matter. You would do better doing what you suggested about contacting expo sponsors and telling them that you are refusing to purchase their products because of what happened.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
One problem that you are going to run into is that if every member that has ever created a profile on UWN refused to go to the expo then you would only have less than 52,000 members that wouldn't show up. But out of that 52,000 you have to figure that at least 25%-50% are going to support SWF in one way or the other.

Not saying that I agree with what was done but you just have to face the facts of the matter. You would do better doing what you suggested about contacting expo sponsors and telling them that you are refusing to purchase their products because of what happened.
I understand, but if the expo struggles with attendance or goes down in attendance it would help. Sponsors and news stations are a great place to start. Emailing the DWR and calling them will help as well, keep their phone ringing off the hook. This has to end, and all hel should be breaking loose right now.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Funny stuff,

I'll put a $100 bill down right now that says the 2016 western hunting and conservation expo grows.
Set's new attendance records for 2016............................

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Notice how they repeatedly refer to SFW by name, but only refer to RMEF as "Offeror B". In all fairness they should have referred to SFW as Offeror A, or called out RMEF as the other party.

-DallanC
The reference to Offeror B is standard legal language for an RFP.

However, RFPs are an interesting beast as they are designed to create clarity when a third party petitions a government entity, they are not all evaluated on the same level and more often than not, a decision has already been made with bias prior to issuing an RFP.

The little bit I have read so far does seem to have some bias in the terminology but it may not be intentional as it is also clarifying what Offeror B was lacking from their perspective.

So far, I'm hesitant to jump all over this one as the Award Justification Statement isn't written as well as several RFPs I have worked on.

·
1,666 Posts
things to do for change:

-if you have a booth at the expo take your business to one of the other expos
-contact state and DWR reps and let your opinion be known
-if your non-resident stop applying in Utah and email the DWR and let them know why you've stopped

I hate to hurt the DWRs funding or conservation money, but we can apply a lot of pressure and get rid of this corrupt system if we start standing against it. The DWR and SFW have asked for this, it is just pitiful it is our wildlife and average sportsmen that have to loose until this good ole boy system is over.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to go to the expo. While I do not agree with SFW and their doings, there is still an opportunity to draw great tags in a lottery setting. Some hunts that I would cash in my points for and some hunts that I may never draw in my lifetime.

It's a tough situation, but at the end of the day I'm going to meet family at the expo and have a good time and hopefully draw a tag.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to go to the expo. While I do not agree with SFW and their doings, there is still an opportunity to draw great tags in a lottery setting. Some hunts that I would cash in my points for and some hunts that I may never draw in my lifetime.

It's a tough situation, but at the end of the day I'm going to meet family at the expo and have a good time and hopefully draw a tag.
And IMO that is why this system will never change. I understand, but would boycotting the expo for a year or two be worth fixing the corruption?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what I have done the past few years.
I don't put in for the tags. I show up to the expo about 2 hours before closing time and they don't charge me to enter. 2 hours gives me more than enough time to look at everything I want to. If there is a seminar I want to attend I will still without paying.
This last year though without the taxidermy contest I probably should of skipped it all together.

The problem is you will never convince enough people to not even put in for the tags. In fact the more people who decided not to, the more I think will.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
The problem is you will never convince enough people to not even put in for the tags. In fact the more people who decided not to, the more I think will.
I have to agree. Not enough people want to a) understand the political pressures behind the expo, and b) most people are happy living in ignorance and will take whatever they can get without questioning where it came from. As a result, more traffic = more lottery tickets = more revenue.

·
1,666 Posts
And IMO that is why this system will never change. I understand, but would boycotting the expo for a year or two be worth fixing the corruption?
3-5 people boycotting isn't going to do much.

I think protesting outside the expo would be a better way to go. Handing out T-shirts, bumper stickers, flyers, etc with the facts of SFW and the corruption of the process.

Letting the common people know the corruption and giving the Utah DWR and SFW a black eye.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
3-5 people boycotting isn't going to do much.

I think protesting outside the expo would be a better way to go. Handing out T-shirts, bumper stickers, flyers, etc with the facts of SFW and the corruption of the process.

Letting the common people know the corruption and giving the Utah DWR and SFW a black eye.
That would help, and it's true 3-5 people isn't going to make the difference, and that's the problem, not enough people will be willing to stay away from this corrupt situation.

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
Funny stuff,

I'll put a $100 bill down right now that says the 2016 western hunting and conservation expo grows.
Set's new attendance records for 2016............................
Record... maybe by a couple hundred people. Nothing like the records RMEF breaks.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The reality is just as Goofy says it. The expo will set records for attendance again this year. Most people are not involved or interested enough to even begin to scratch the surface of what's going on between SFW and the DWR.

Not sure how to remedy that problem. However, I don't think the fatalistic approach is productive in any way. Though it doesn't look promising, we shouldn't just resign ourselves to the fact that nothing is going to change. The fact that I won't be attending the expo this time won't affect the DWR or SFW in the least. It's still a good way for me to voice my opposition to the process and the relationship between the two organizations.

We really need a way to provide a united front in opposition to this situation. As much as keyboard complaining helps me vent some steam, a real physical organized effort will be required to effect any semblance of change.

·
1,666 Posts
The reality is just as Goofy says it. The expo will set records for attendance again this year. Most people are not involved or interested enough to even begin to scratch the surface of what's going on between SFW and the DWR.

Not sure how to remedy that problem. However, I don't think the fatalistic approach is productive in any way. Though it doesn't look promising, we shouldn't just resign ourselves to the fact that nothing is going to change. The fact that I won't be attending the expo this time won't affect the DWR or SFW in the least. It's still a good way for me to voice my opposition to the process and the relationship between the two organizations.

We really need a way to provide a united front in opposition to this situation. As much as keyboard complaining helps me vent some steam, a real physical organized effort will be required to effect any semblance of change.
I agree.

If people are going to be passive aggressive about it through individually not going and complaining about it on the internet, then we might as well go and have a good time.

If people are going to stand outside and protest, hand out T-shirts and SFW facts sheets, and try to persuade people to see the light; then that is another thing.

"SFW hates sage grouse and wants them listed"

"SFW loves money and hates hunters"

"SFW wants to take hunter opportunity away"

"SFW pays off Utah officials"

"SFW wastes Utah Tax Dollars"

etc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts