Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the proclamation at some of the changes this year and came across the new Herriman extended archery area. I moved out here a couple years ago and naturally, the proximity makes it enticing. I don't have an archery deer tag this year but looking forward it may be a good option to be able to hunt close to home.

My main question is, what areas can you actually hunt? As far as I know, the obvious access point, Rose Canyon, is off limits to hunting, though there is a good amount of public land that onX shows. I know there's other trails that are typically used for mountain biking but most are pretty particular in telling you to stay on the trail.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im up the same creek, i live in herriman and figured thatd be a great idea if i dont tag out with my deer, im assuming up yellow fork canyon, i havent been up there but i have heard the residents up there dont like hunters. But people not liking hunters and hunting being off limits is two different things. I couldnt imagine why they would extend it to that area if the public land was off limits to hunting. Ill do some more research and get back to you.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Following...

I would not be entirely surprised to find that the DWR added this area due to resident complaints and that many of those same residents don’t want or care for hunters.

Kind of like the private land elk hunts. Lots of tags go to those but then landowners don’t allow access or want an exorbitant amount of money as a trespass fee.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did send an e-mail to the Trails government thing on the Herriman City website earlier this week so I hope they get back to me. There are deer literally everywhere around here so I hope something good comes of this. I see deer hit on Mountain View nearly weekly.

Please let me know what you guys find out.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Can’t find any good answers online and I’m also skeptical that anyone could give definite answers.

May have to review the meeting minutes from the wildlife board meetings and see if anything was clarified or explained.

If you look at the hunt maps site it shows the county land in Yellow Fork as public (green) but doesn’t show the BLM land up there in green.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
If that’s the case, could they cite you if they found you walking through the county land with your bow? Be hard to know if a person was simply walking or if they were hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only way to get to that green spot is to go through yellow fork canyon. About a 2 mile hike in. All the rest of the property is private. I drove up around there today up through that high country estates and everything is posted. I also called SL County and they had no answers for me. They said they call me back. They have all the gates closed. So it’s on foot or horse or a bike. I did see lots of doe and a couple small bucks tonight up there.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If that's the case, could they cite you if they found you walking through the county land with your bow? Be hard to know if a person was simply walking or if they were hunting.
i used to walk thru non huntable land to get to a spot that was legal. just in case i always had my bow on my back and release off my wrist and on the bow until i made it to legal land.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Several years ago I walked thru Summit Park with a couple of my daughters to get to the Extended area from that side. I had a local resident woman stop me and question what we were doing and proceeded to remind me that this was not a legal hunting area. I informed her that we were just passing thru to get to the hunt area and she sternly reminded me that I needed to be sure of my target and to not shoot her dog that was running around. I assured her we knew the difference between a dog and a deer and proceeded on our way. Sometimes I think the non hunting public thinks the hunting public is a bunch of brainless killers with no common sense.

·
Senior Goof
3,824 Posts
Several years ago I walked thru Summit Park with a couple of my daughters to get to the Extended area from that side. I had a local resident woman stop me and question what we were doing and proceeded to remind me that this was not a legal hunting area. I informed her that we were just passing thru to get to the hunt area and she sternly reminded me that I needed to be sure of my target and to not shoot her dog that was running around. I assured her we knew the difference between a dog and a deer and proceeded on our way. Sometimes I think the non hunting public thinks the hunting public is a bunch of brainless killers with no common sense.
Maybe she should tell her dog to wear a leash, or stay within 20 yards of her and a designated trail.

Lol.. Really though I have had some funny conversations on the extended. Those granola's in SLC even leave notes on your vehicles at the trailheads!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts