Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Yeah, but it is official now, and the cougs have had their share of almosts with joining a power conference in the past. They are pretty giddy here in Provo today.
I’m talking about the school and players. This was a known event for a couple weeks on the inside. All you heard about the last 10 days was the dog and pony show of formalities.

So while the kuug faithful are stoked today, I don’t see it impacting the game much.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I see it as a motivation for BYU.
They will want to prove themselves.
And I'm a Utes fan.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm a long ago Ute fan who switched over to the Y after a few issues (seemed mostly from fans who at the time hated the religion and thus rooted for the U). I am a Sitaki fan, too. While I'd like to see the Y pull off the upset, I think the Utes will win by 10 or so. Turnovers will rule the day- again.

Stories like this make me fine win or lose.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I thought the game was a little classier this year than in years past. Of course there were a few personal foul penalties but none that were overly egregious in my opinion. I saw random acts of sportsmanship on both sides throughout the week and game. As far as the competition, I think the score fairly reflects the two teams. I think BYU actually fielded a better, more talented team for the first time in a long time. I mean, heck......I have had 3 Utah general deer tags since last time the Cougars won.-----------SS

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
As far as the competition, I think the score fairly reflects the two teams. I think BYU actually fielded a better, more talented team for the first time in a long time. I mean, heck......I have had 3 Utah general deer tags since last time the Cougars won.-----------SS
No argument and I would add that I thought the cougs were more hungry and wanted it more. I didn't see that energy with the Utes. Not sure if they just weren't up for it or they simply aren't very good this year. I suppose time will tell.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It was a very interesting game. Fun to watch. I just think BYU showed up to play more than Utah. Now the Question is, how was church PBH?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I talk tough to you guys, but my wife still runs the household....

I made it to Sacrament meeting. I had the Elder's Quorum President come over before the meeting started to show me an elk (LE Boulder Archery) that a friend killed. The photo was taken in the daylight, thank goodness. I didn't have any bad thoughts during the entirety of the meeting.

Once Sacrament meeting was over, while my wife wasn't looking, I snuk (is that a word?) the keys from her purse (I don't have a set to her car) while she played some postlude music. She departed for primary, the kids went their directions, and I wandered out to the car. I then drove around town aimlessly for the next hour - a good discussion was had with the guy upstairs, and I didn't have to sit through priesthood meeting listening to the masses revel in their victory. It was a good Sunday.

I'm afraid this is going to be a long season. Which is a good thing for BYU fans.

(FWIW -- I really like Sitaki)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
BYU definitely deviated from their typical game plan for this one. I think they brought more pressure and had more hits behind the line of scrimmage in this one game than the previous 2 seasons combined. I actually enjoyed watching them play defense in this game instead of the typical frustration of giving the opponents QB all day and giving up the mid-range passes. Utah's D-line is probably better than BYU's but BYU's defense overall came out more fired up and with a lot more intensity.

On offense, I think BYU's line did much better against Utah's defense than anyone thought they would. I think BYU's running backs were overall more consistent but Utah's were definitely more explosive. That Micah Bernard is a pretty special back. If I were a Ute fan, I'd be pretty excited about his future. As it is, I'm glad BYU won't have to see him again for a couple of years. BYU's receivers looked more impressive to me, and Utah's tight ends were more productive in the passing game. At QB it's hard to call because they have such different styles, but if I had to, I'd probably give it to Hall. Brewer did a fine job especially when considering how much pressure he had on him the whole game. Hall was the difference between a victory and a loss for BYU.

Special teams, I wish Covey would graduate already! BYU's punter, Rehkow has a stupid good leg.

If I'm honest, even with how well BYU played in the first half, I was still worried because Utah has seemed to make much better adjustments in the second half for the last decade. Then when Bernard broke 3 tackles to push into the end zone, I thought BYU was going to roll over again in the 4th quarter. I was pleasantly surprised they did not. Those last two plays for Utah's offense, an easy pass dropped and a very uncharacteristic over throw, are a tough way to end a series and game.

Fun game to watch. Now I hope Utah runs the Pac-12 south and takes the conference championship.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts