Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if anyone else out there has made a home made mud motor. I have built one. It was a 5hp briggs and stratton with a plastic electric trolling motor prop. It had a chain drive. It was ok. The chain was so short that it would over heat and break alot. I just kept extra lengths of roller chain cut to the size i needed in the boat with the quick connector things. I am starting to build another. It is going to have an 8hp briggs and stratton with a u-joint this time. The prop is an aluminum. (didn't wanna pay $200.00 for a stainless one). I was able to sell my last one for $500.00 bucks which I was surpised. I just use one inch square tube steel for the frame, and a couple pillow block bearings for the shaft. Anyway lets here how you built yours if you did. The nice thing is, I only spent $30 on steel, $15 on hard wear, $30 on bearings, $60 on the u joint, maybe $20 on welding wire, $40 on the props (I got two of them) and $75 on the engine. thats less than $275 bucks. Gotta love it.