Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the Hornady case trimmer that comes with the reloading kit. I take a case and slowly and carefully adjust the trimmer until the case has exactly the length I want. I trim 20 cases to that length.

Then I chamfer and debur these 20 cases, and measure them. It turns out that only 15 out 20 have the exact length, the others are between 1 and 4 (!!) thousandth too short. (I know for certain that the cases were not short to begin with.)

Where does the variation come from? How can I increase the precision of my case trimming? I'm a newbie, and would greatly appreciate any hints, tips, tricks. Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Perhaps think in individual cycles? How much does a single, full rotation remove from the casing when a applying a certain amount of force? I kind of learned how to tease it to a certain length using a lyman case trimmer. I know it isn't exactly a scientific method, but for what its worth, it works for me.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Variability may come from how tight you lock the case into the shell holder. I have the same trimmer and find a little variance as well. I definitely don't see it as enough variance to really mess up accuracy.

I just try to keep things as consistent as I can - same pressure on the trimmer, tighten the shell holder as tight as I can, etc.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I found the same thing using my Hornady trimmer and it frustrates me to no end but I'm not sure there is anything that would do it better.

I have found that moving the nut all the way towards the trimmer handle so it can't move helps. I also started using an electric screwdriver instead of doing it by hand...medium speed, consistent pressure.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Try measuring before you chamfer and debur. Assuming you have the case seated correctly, I would think the chamfer and debur process is more likely to have variations.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try measuring before you chamfer and debur. Assuming you have the case seated correctly, I would think the chamfer and debur process is more likely to have variations.
I was thinking about that as well ... will try!! Thanks.
Uniform and mild pressure should probably suffice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts