Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Hotel costs for the upcoming season

5K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  alexlama 
#1 ·
FYI. The cost of our hotel for a upcoming hunt jumped 50% per day. Hang on to your wallets guys this hoby / habit is getting expensive. Cost in every area has really jumped. Primers, bullets, powder , gas and now hotels. Ouch !!!!!!

#4 ·
I have decided on the cost of things that if you want to go and do something then go and do it and not to worry about the cost.

This past February on our hunting trip to Arizona we didn't have a motel room since quite a few were still shut down due to covid. We had been staying at a friends home but he passed away in 2020 so we were out of luck there. I just got all the old camping gear out of the garage and started to pack it into the truck. Then at 1pm the day before we were to leave one of the motels that I had called called me and said that they had a room, so all the camping gear came out of the truck.

What it comes down to is that if you want to go just go and don't worry about the cost. If there is a problem with the cost then quite likely you can't afford to go in the first place.

#6 ·
What it comes down to is that if you want to go just go and don't worry about the cost.
There is a big difference between "wanting" to do something and being able to afford to do something.

If there is a problem with the cost then quite likely you can't afford to go in the first place.
I could give you a list of 100 things very quickly that I absolutely want to do, but probably never will or at least won't right now because of the cost. Don't mix these things up!

#5 ·
These cost jumps are more related to inflation in general than hunting itself. Heck just driving an hour from home has become a "rich mans" activity! I travel quite a bit for my work and have noticed the cost of EVERYTHING has gone up. Hotels, meals, fuel, flights, rental cars.... It never ends. I actually made plans to only hunt close to home this year rather than doing the long pull of the 5th wheel several hours away. Put my boys in for limited entry only, bought points for general season deer and told them we'd hunt spike elk near our home on one of the hunts. We'll see how it all pans out.

With the cost of food jumping so bad, I get anxiety every time I get a direct deposit from work. Because I know that my wife is going to want to run to Costco shortly thereafter.

In reference to hunting again, as Jeff Foxworthy so eloquently put it, this deer meat is the finest meat on planet earth! Its more expensive that the finest cuts of beef!

#7 ·
Haven't we heard a neverending chorus of whining here about point creep and overcrowding? Isn't this a tiny silver lining in the perpetual gloom and doom?

While there are limits, one will find a way to do the things that are priorities and make cuts on stuff on the periphery of interest.

#9 ·
I am dreading my Turkey hunt now, and honestly will probably only be able to pull off Ducks this fall with the rate things are going. I was excited to start getting my 9 y/o more involved this year, but I think I'll push off his hunter safety one more season in case I can't pull things off.

#10 ·
We'll definitely be avoiding Fri & Sat night stays when possible but that's always been the case.

But I'm curious, the site I saw comparing April 2019 to April 2022 show hotel prices are down from the nationwide and for most chains. They jumped between late 2020 to now but that was an increase from plummeting costs during the first 6 months of the pandemic. The caveat looks like reward points which have lost noticeable value.

Are people paying more than they did in 2019 or just more than the deal busters from 2020?

#12 ·
We took our annual spring trip a couple weeks ago down to Boulder/Escalante. Four of us rented a 2 room suite at the boulder mountain guest ranch. Definitely not a 5 star hotel but I've seen much worse. It had a fridge, toaster oven, filtered water, hot water dispenser and best of all - no tv. Paid $106 a night for the four of us. I was really shocked at how reasonable gas prices were. Only about .20 cents more than salt lake prices. Food was probably the most eye raising, prices were alot more expensive than I thought they would be.

#16 ·
I have had a ton of incidental costs come up lately such as new tires for the car and what have you. Each expense that comes up seems to be significantly more expensive than it was the last time I blinked my eyes too. Now, just as I'm getting ready to do my spring Idaho bear hunt, I get my taxes done and Uncle Sam decided I'm not fully paid up on the extortion money. When I was a kid I thought only rich people still owed taxes at the end the year. Who would have ever thought I would grow up to be "rich" someday? Yo, Adrian, I did it! 😒

#27 · (Edited)
No. I said what I said and I am sticking to it!

I'm an ol cowhand from the Rio Grande, and I learned to ride afore I learned to stand. I'm a ridin fool who never saw a cow , never roped a steer cause I don't know how, and I sure ain't a itchin to start in now. O yippee I A Ki Yo.

I'm an ol cowhand from the Rio Grande and I went to town just to meet the band. Well I know all the songs that the cowboys know cause I heard em all on the Radio, O Yippee I A Ki Yo

I'm an ol cowhand from the Rio Grande, and my legs ain't bowed and my cheeks ain't tanned. Well I know all the trails in the lone star state, cause I rode em all in a ford V8. O yippee I A Ki Yo Whoop whoop whoop whoop

#28 · (Edited)
I'm new on this forum and just wanted to chime in on the discussion about the rising costs of hunting. Man, it's crazy how expensive everything has gotten. I mean not just for hunting gear expenses but for everything in general.I totally agree that deer meat is the bomb. But dang, it's getting more expensive than a fancy steak dinner! Again, everything becomes more and more expensive.Speaking of travel costs, I recently stumbled upon some tours to Costa Rica at www.CostaRicaFocus.com. It seems like they have some cool stuff. I haven't decided on a hotel yet, though. Any recommendations for the hotel? I desperately need to travel somewhere.Anyway, back to hunting.

#39 · (Edited)
Hey Al Hansen, it's really something when you can rely on two different rifles for precise yardage like that. That Savage sounds like a keeper with its performance at 100 yds, and the CZ 457 American isn't trailing far behind either. The "red mist" effect you're mentioning seems to be the ultimate confirmation of a well-placed shot, huh?

You know, reading your post got me thinking—there's a parallel in looking for quality and performance, whether it's firearms or travel spots. For instance, if you ever find yourself down under, broadbeach hotels offer a similar level of 'accuracy,' so to speak, when it comes to luxury and service.